Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    Both types of controller have their own place.
    Griff
    +1

I have both.... there are many times in tight awkward places where a pedal is not practical... that is where the finger control shines...

I also have a LS17 torch with integrated finger control on my Dyn 200DX... for simplicitys sake when it travels on site..
    just one less cord to mess with..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Selftaught wrote -- "I will be going to my friends house monday. He's gonna show me the basic in and outs. In return I will be helping him with a custom wrought iron bed. Really need to learn how to charge for my services and the best place to purchase metal in this area."

This quote shows you are a long way from starting a business but it is a great first step. I would work for him or someone else for awhile before committing to spending cash. If you don't know about accounting & taxes, particularly business taxes, then learn it. You don't need to be a pro but you do need to understand how it works & rates etc. because it is easy to make costly mistakes without realizing it.
    Thanks MMW.
    I am going to be getting a welder/generator in the near future whether I start up a buisness or not. I joined here to do research and to learn from those with more experience. I know I have a long way to go. I plan on starting out really, REALLY small. Just doing small jobs for anyone who needs welding done. I already do some very small stuff with the HH140 but usually don't charge for anything but materials. Usually its a "you help me with this and I will help you with that" situation.
    I go to my friends house Monday to Start working with him. I will continue doing this two to 4 days a week for a month, possibly two.
    I do not want to give anyone the impression that I am just a young buck looking to jump into the field (I am 40).
    This idea has been on my mind for a couple of years now and I have researched many aspects of it, but I know I have A LOT more to learn.
    Who knows, after working with my friend for a month or two I may decide that I don't want to go through with it (I believe this to be highly unlikely though).
    As far as the taxes...... I am trying to learn the basics, with my wifes help. She has been out of work for two years but she does taxes on the side, including farm taxes. She will also be doing the taxes for the buisness but I still like to know what's going on so she is showing me.
    Thanks again and I hope I have not given anyone the wrong impression.
    SelfTaught

Thumbs up

Sounds like you are moving along thoughtfully and methodically..

the business end is not rocket science... and it sounds like your wife is well equipped to keep the books straight...

if you can get Quickbooks... that is an excellent accounting program and easy to use...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

If you want more answers from a larger group of experienced welders, go here and post the same question.

http://weldingweb.com/forum.php

Maybe ask in general welding questions. This is a good source of welding knowledge, too.

Day 1 down working with my friend. Learned a lot.
    He affirmed what was stated in the thread about tigging. He has it set up in his shop but not on his truck.
    He has a 10' double axel trailer he used to use for his welder before getting the service truck.
    He wanted to sell it but we worked out a deal. I work for him three days and he will give it to me.
    Today we spent the morning buying material. We got back to his shop around 11 and he left me there to work on a wrought iron bed while he ran some errands and lined up a few more jobs.
    Got the head board finished and tac welded the foot board together.
    I really enjoyed it.
    While I was at his shop someone brought in an exhaust pipe for a BMW, some one else brought a pontoon (sp?), then another guy brought up a 12' propane tank they want made into a double smoker. That was just in 5 hours.
    Hopefully I will get there. But I know it's gonna take time.
    SelfTaught

Sounds like a productive first day. Can you show a pic of the headboard & footboard?

Sounds like you are on your way...!!

That's GREAT!!!

and of course post PICS....

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

This thread is worthless without pictures !
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Lol I have pics! I just can't get them to upload from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Well then, to make this a worthwhile thread, here are some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images