Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default miller 180sd tig full power no matter what

Hello, I have a 180sd tig that I bought new in 99 used it seldom, sold it to a friend who never plugged it in. I bought it back, when I got it home plugged it in and all I had was full power. I put it on AC because at full power it was easier to control, I just ran it around on a block of alum for a couple minutes and suddenly it started working. It would be fine after that for the short time I would need it. I did that a couple times then took it to a repair shop that told me it was the board. I had the board put in, brought it home and it worked fine - once. The second time I used it I had the same original problem.
    I now have a Hall effect transducer coming in hopes that does it. I really want to fix this machine, it's very clean with very low hours.
    If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know.
    I was told on another forum to come here and ask "cruizer" , I tried to send him a private message but I don't know if it sent or not, I can't find any way to see my sent messages, I did it twice and the sent message folder says "0" so I thought I'd ask here and see what you all have to suggest.
    Thank you for any ideas you may have.
    Last edited by deanbw; 03-23-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Defective hall device and poor connections at the 14-pin or control board have been known to cause what you're experiencing.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

thank you duaneb55, I will check all connections while I'm in there replacing Hall effect.