Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jersey,

I've been able to walk in an open root (front or back feeding) with TIG in the 6G (and all other positions) for around 35 years now. I can also put one in there free hand in those less than optimal "tie-in" situations where there's so much restriction there isn't room to walk a cup. Believe me this is not a case of me being critical of the technique because I'm not able to do it.
    Last edited by 4956; 02-23-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

I did not say there isn't a place for freehand but I would much rather rely on putting most fill/cap passes on by walking. Less stress risers as fewer beads are needed. Definitely faster 99% of the time. I just didn't really agree with your comment about heat input. That had more to do with putting too much heat/filler in versus technique.....
    Quote Originally Posted by 4956 View Post
    Jersey,

I've been able to walk in an open root (front or back feeding) with TIG in the 6G (and all other positions) for around 35 years now. I can also put one in there free hand in those less than optimal "tie-in" situations where there's so much restriction there isn't room to walk a cup. Believe me this is not a case of me being critical of the technique because I'm not able to do it.

Jersey,

There's just no way you can cup walk 6 inches of a single pass 1/4" fillet weld on any material than I can't do it free hand style in half the time (running at 50 to 75% more amps than what you'll have to use to cup walk it in).

Care to wager on that?
    Last edited by 4956; 02-23-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)