Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Troy, MI

    Default Welding Bumper Guards for FIRST Robotics

    The bumper guards are removable from the robot so that you can easily change them to either red or blue depending an the particular alliance. We decided to make the length and width of our robot a little smaller so we wouldn't be so close the perimeter limit, like we were in the past. Unfortunately we didn't make the bumper guard smaller to match. You can clearly see the misfit on our SolidWorks assembly model but if you don't look at the model you don't see it. So I had to cut 3/8" off of the two long sides to make it fit. While I was at it, I also added fillet welds in the corners to stiffen up the bumper guards. There was only a short section about 1.5" long on top connecting the sides together and it looked wimpy to me. I found out later that the bumper guards failed in that area last year.

    1. Three Bumper Supports Cut up.jpg
    2. Fixtured for Welding.jpg
    3. Inside Fillet Weld.jpg
    4. Outside Fillet Weld .jpg
    Last edited by Don52; 02-16-2014 at 09:26 PM.

    Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/ on line 79

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.