Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Welding Bumper Guards for FIRST Robotics

The bumper guards are removable from the robot so that you can easily change them to either red or blue depending an the particular alliance. We decided to make the length and width of our robot a little smaller so we wouldn't be so close the perimeter limit, like we were in the past. Unfortunately we didn't make the bumper guard smaller to match. You can clearly see the misfit on our SolidWorks assembly model but if you don't look at the model you don't see it. So I had to cut 3/8" off of the two long sides to make it fit. While I was at it, I also added fillet welds in the corners to stiffen up the bumper guards. There was only a short section about 1.5" long on top connecting the sides together and it looked wimpy to me. I found out later that the bumper guards failed in that area last year.

1. Three Bumper Supports Cut up.jpg
    2. Fixtured for Welding.jpg
    3. Inside Fillet Weld.jpg
    4. Outside Fillet Weld .jpg
    Last edited by Don52; 02-16-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.