Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Moving and Repairing Insert Dump Body.

Today I removed an insert dump body from one truck and installed it in a second truck. While I was at it I repaired the center section of the tailgate, which was perforated and also had a crack on the bottom. I also welded up the two hinges that were used for two doors that go above the tailgate. We used a gantry crane with two hoists in the front and an engine hoist in the rear, which worked very well. It got dark and started to rain so I will get a picture of the completed job tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

And here is the second batch of pictures.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

And here is the last batch of pictures.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Here are some more pictures.
    Whenever I repair something I try to determine the root cause of the problem.
    If you look the picture of the tailgate latch you can see my repair.
    The problem was that the bottom of the right side of the clevis that supported the latch pin was broken off and missing.
    My repair was to fabricate and weld in a new plate on the inside of the broken clevis ear, with a 33/64" hole in it for the 1/2" latch pin.
    Once the clevis failed the previous owner of the dump body abandoned the bottom two spring loaded latch pins and installed a pair of hinges to support the tailgate instead.
    Unfortunately the two hinges that he installed were not in axial alignment, , which put high forces on the bottom of the tailgate and caused it to crack.
    I removed his misaligned hinges and fixed the clevis so that the bottom of the tailgate is now supported by the spring loaded latch pins as the dump body was originally designed.
    I believe that I have got to the root cause of the original problem.
    Time will tell...

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport