Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default ok

So your saying I should just go with the 30amp "spoolmatic" on the Shopmate 300DX????
    Just for amperage capabilities or what?
    I probably will run up to 400amps welding 3/4 alumunim.
    ~John

Quote Originally Posted by AKweldshop View Post
    So your saying I should just go with the 30amp "spoolmatic" on the Shopmate 300DX????
    ~John
    Priceless....

the 15a & 30a Spoolmatics are rated

100 Volts, 200 Amperes,100% Duty Cycle
    Using Argon Shielding Gas

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

So should I get a water cooled gun?

Well I won't be at terrible dutycycles, maybe 40%.
    Would the gun hold up spraying 3/64 wire?
    And I won't be welding at full amperage a lot, maybe 15% of the time I'll be at 300amps and up.
    but mainly 3/16 to 3/8 thickness.

So should I get a water cooled gun?
    The manuals are in the "Resources" section... download and READ them...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

~John
    Short answer yes 15a or 30a but...
    There is NO 30amp spoolmatic. There is a 15a and a 30a, these are model numbers and do not relate to amps. The numbers refer to the length of the leads. That is to say with a 15a you can get fully extended in a straight line about 15 feet from your machine and with a 30a you can get roughly 30 feet. The spool gun itself on the 15a and 30a is the same gun only the lead length is different.
    Further you will not be welding at 400 amps at 40% duty cycle with a 300DX Shopmate because the duty cycle of that machine hits 100% at just under 200 amps and falls to about 25% at 400 amps, the machine's maximum output. The spoolmatic 15a/30a has a duty cycle of 100% at 200 amps which should just about perfectly match the 300DX's capacity.
    The spoolmatic 15a/30a is considered by many to be the BEST spool gun available. If when you read the specs on both the Shopmate 300DX and the Spoolmatic 15a/30a you still believe you need 400 amps I would suggest that neither is up to what you want to do and you should consider a much larger power supply and probably a push/pull system. Good luck.---Meltedmetal
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 02-21-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Default thanks fellas

I will do some more research on this set-up.
    thanks for the info.
    ~John

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Hello fellow welders,

My name is John, And I'm looking at getting a Shopmate 300DX, I'll have the 22a feeder with the 15ft q300 on it, and I want to get a spoolgun or a pushpull gun on it.
    Which aluminum gun would be the best to go on it?
    And I kinda want a remote feeder witrh about a fifty foot reach on it, I'll mostly run flux-core.
    I'll have a lot of questions on it from bumper to bumper, So bear with me,
    I have cash.

~John
    . I prefer it's MS mig arc over a MM-350p or MM-252 by quite a bit.Welds different, and I think better.(IMO) Great arc starts too. I have never been a fan of the 252, and figured I could live with the 350 p if I had too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251448971351...84.m1423.l2648
    What is it you don't like about the 252?? I'm no pro but so far so good with mine. I'm sure the 350P is better or many more machines that cost x$$

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    What is it you don't like about the 252?? I'm no pro but so far so good with mine. I'm sure the 350P is better or many more machines that cost x$$

Never liked the 251 either. Just weird to me.. Turn it up, and just somewhat mushy for lack of a better term. Electronic arc comes to mind... At least with a MM-350p it's a driving arc with some power behind it. In my mind the 251, and 252 have never matched the short-arc of the MM-200.Shopmate 300 dx has matched it, and surpassed the 200 The Shopmate cost me about what a 252 would of cost me because I had a few feeders that would work on it. It's one of the few Miller machines that weld exactly like I think a machine should weld like. It's very similar to a Esab 260/300 multimaster. Also a chopper power supply..There are a few inverters I like the welding arc a bit better but very few. Overall a nice balance in a machine. It has that rare type of arc that is somewhat crisp with good wet-out of the weld bead. Not easy to do, and takes a engineer that really understands what a good arc is.. A lot of them just don't IMO. Miller nailed it pretty good here. Hats off to them.. It does not mean the 252 is not a good machine, but I just can't stand that type of arc. Too far along in the game to accept it too.

Default Sorry.

H80N, Cruizer, ScotV,
    Sorry for jumping on this forum and asking questions that I should of just went and researched.
    My bad.
    I've done quite a bit of checking and stuff, and learned a thing or two.

I hope, Cruizer, that were still friends, because I've go a technical welder question for you.
    Thanks,
    ~John