Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Size of cut outs in "ArcStation" tabletops? Anyone know?

I am helping my son build himself a house and now that it is under roof we are slowly but surely getting the inside done. The back wall of the garage steps back for a length of 18 feet and the space clearly demands about 14 feet or so of workbench space. We've got a pretty good idea of how to lay out the workbench and one of the things I want to do is build in a small welding tabletop.

My intention has been to cut out a section of the bench-top about 22" deep by 36" wide and buy a plate of about 3/8" or 1/2" mild steel plate to fill in the hole. I'd build a lip under the hole on the wood bench top (made from 2x6's) to hold the steel top even with the rest of the wood. So basically the steel will be an inset.

What I would like to do is have the steel plate I buy cut out with a similar X pattern to the one used by the Miller ArcStations. This would then allow me to buy and use the Miller clamps, which appear to be both well made and quite useful. So, my questions are, does anyone know the width of the slots on Miller's tabletops and the thickness of their tabletops (which I believe to be 3/8" in their heavier ArcStation version. Also, it appears that the slots are wider at their ends to allow for insertion of their clamps. Is that correct and if so can you tell me the size of the additional cutout?

Oh, any recommendations on the type of steel to ask for will be appreciated as well.

If you don't get any answers then you can purchase the Clamp first and then have the Table cut to match the clamp.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus