Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shop heater?

I keep the shop warm with a propane HotDawg heater. On weekends I run the wood pellet stove to conserve propane and bring the temp up a little more for when I am working.
    If I ever have the ability to build a new shop it will have hot water radiant in the slab. A guy I used to work with has it and heats the water with a 30 gallon domestic style water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    I keep the shop warm with a propane HotDawg heater. On weekends I run the wood pellet stove to conserve propane and bring the temp up a little more for when I am working.
    If I ever have the ability to build a new shop it will have hot water radiant in the slab. A guy I used to work with has it and heats the water with a 30 gallon domestic style water heater.
    Big Mike,

If you ever do get to build your own shop (and I'm root'n for ya there brother) and put hot water radiant in the slab I'd advise you make a good map with dimensions (for future reference) of where the tubing is run. That way if you ever get the need to anchor bolt something to the slab you'll a reasonable idea of where you'll be able to get a way with doing it.

I ran up against this situation once before and had it be problematic.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Ha, oh boy do I know your pain. I love hydronic heating as much as the next guy, but dang I had a bear of a time on the last house I finished. Remodel, had to cut a 18x7 pad out for a new structural fireplace, in floor heat. Took me a few full days "excavating" around the cut tubes to reroute and reconnect.

Making a map would be sweet but a little unreliable as things move quite a bit in a pour. Now days I borrow my friends thermal imager. You can see an entire grid, works amazingly well. Then you can drill and set anchors with confidence.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 02-19-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post

I run a pellet stove/electric,and propane. Generally stick mostly with a older Austroflamm for almost all my heating needs. There are pellet stoves, and there are Austroflamm. built is 92-93 and never one issue with it..

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Ha, oh boy do I know your pain. I love hydronic heating as much as the next guy, but dang I had a bear of a time on the last house I finished. Remodel, had to cut a 18x7 pad out for a new structural fireplace, in floor heat. Took me a few full days "excavating" around the cut tubes to reroute and reconnect.

Making a map would be sweet but a little unreliable as things move quite a bit in a pour. Now days I borrow my friends thermal imager. You can see an entire grid, works amazingly well. Then you can drill and set anchors with confidence.
    Cgotto6,

Thermal imager??? Well sure, if you just want to do everything the easy way.

But seriously, that hadn't even occurred to me that it was a possibility.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Yup, can be had on amazon for relatively cheap considering how versatile they can be. You can use them to locate studs in walls and help locate poorly insulated areas in buildings. My friend has used to to quickly locate exhaust leaks too. They're pretty cool.