Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop heater?

They do. I a ctually posted on craigslist to see if anyone wanted to sell unopened 1k Kerosene cans . I had a response that a Hess close by sells it by the gallon($3.85). I went and picked up 5 gallons even though I had ten gallons. Just to be sure it worked. It was clear and the guy said it was 1k but it instantly flared up when I put it in my duraheat heater. I had to desmoke my garage after 10 minutes.....then I was able to relight it and adjust it but it definitely sooted up the wick so I'll assume it's just standard kero....these duraheat heaters WILL NOT run on anything but 1k kerosoene after the first tank full. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmmandan View Post
    They don't sell kerosene at gas stations around you? We have acouple of stations within 5 miles of us that sell it and it is about $5.00 a gallon verses the containers at lowes that are presealed.

Default Electric

I run a 5000 watt electric. At $.10 a k/w hr that's $.50 an hour to run. Would do just fine in your shop.

What one? Does it sky rocket your electric bill? I am not looking for 70 degrees.....I just want to get it around 55....that's what I consider cozy for working.....I don't have a problem if it takes an hour to warm up......just wanna take the chill out. I am either going electric or nat gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    My shop is not as big as yours, but what I run is a 4800 watt - 240 volt heater & it works great !

Norm

What model?
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    I run a 5000 watt electric. At $.10 a k/w hr that's $.50 an hour to run. Would do just fine in your shop.

It's called the Hot One---- RCP SERIES. Made by Cadet. Use mine a lot.

If you have anything in your shop you don't want rusty, I'd stay away from either natural gas or propane - they generate about as much WATER as they do heat, it's a natural byproduct of combustion. So unless you can locate the exhaust outside and use an air-to-air heat exchanger, they will raise the humidity a LOT.

I too have a 240 volt heater for my shop, and a small 120 volt one that stays set at about 50 degrees and lives under my wood-working tools - that keeps the tool surfaces above dewpoint and doesn't cost too much. The 240 volter only gets turned on when I'm in the shop, takes half hour to an hour to bring it up to tolerable depending on the outside weather. Shop is currently NOT insulated, wood siding/roof with 3-tab comp shingles, 36 x 48.

This is the one I have, works as good as any.

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/brh562.html

Default Humidity and rust

Quote Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
    If you have anything in your shop you don't want rusty, I'd stay away from either natural gas or propane - they generate about as much WATER as they do heat, it's a natural byproduct of combustion. So unless you can locate the exhaust outside and use an air-to-air heat exchanger, they will raise the humidity a LOT.
    Good point on water as a byproduct of combustion. As far as I know, kerosene would also have water as a by-product, just like gasoline does. Most people live in higher humidity climates, so more moisture means more rust and other problems. Humidity is probably not a huge issue for people living in very dry climates.

Another reason to use a vented heater, or just go electric.

Richard

Default Some things to mull over...

MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Doughboy, sounds to me like that link's Rick may be an "internet expert" - not one mention of the water from fossil fuels, rust, etc - or maybe he lives in Arid-zona ... Steve

I just installed some 3000w infrared heaters. They look like fluorescent lights, but use a tungsten element in a quartz tube.

Infratech had a SEMA show special. 2 x 3000w fixtures plus 2x output contollers for $600