Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default New here and having trouble

I've been stick and MIG welding for years at the hobby level. I wanted to get into TIG welding so I bought a Dialarc HF 250 with the Coolmate 3 on top. I just now got it all set up and put new antifreeze it the Coolmate. When I turned everything on, the flow meter on the Coolmate spun up and then stopped. So, does the flow only happen when I am actually welding something or should it be spinning all the time. Thanks for your help. Dennis.

Do you have the manual ? Look on miller site under resources and put name or serial number in until the experts come along.

Quote Originally Posted by djnagle View Post
    I've been stick and MIG welding for years at the hobby level. I wanted to get into TIG welding so I bought a Dialarc HF 250 with the Coolmate 3 on top. I just now got it all set up and put new antifreeze it the Coolmate. When I turned everything on, the flow meter on the Coolmate spun up and then stopped. So, does the flow only happen when I am actually welding something or should it be spinning all the time. Thanks for your help. Dennis.
    Should be spinning all the time. Sounds like something is stopped up.

Griff

ANTIFREEZE WTH, You mean Tig coolant, If its Automotive Antifreeze, I say again WTH
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-15-2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Changed to "WTH" What the hech

Yes, TIG coolant straight from the local Miller store. On the bottle it says Antifreeze though. I down loaded the manual before I posted but it didn't talk about the flow meter's operation. I'll blow all the lines and see what happens. Thanks all.

Also check your tig torches water lines, they may be hooked up backward. I see it all the time.... The power line from the tig torch goes to the cooler return line

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by djnagle View Post
    I have the Dialarc 250 HF 1984 my cooler is a different model, I have no flow meter. Mine has a clear elbow on the return line you can see flow. Take it apart at the return line to see if it flows through the torch.

I only had time to look at the filter tonight and it was very clogged. Then I opened the tank top and there was crud floating in the coolant. I think the whole system needs to come apart and get cleaned out. Tomorrow, after the 3 space heaters run for an hour or so, I'll give it a good going through.

Cruizer: Yes, the return line is attached to the TIG block on the power lug. Before we took it all apart for moving, I took a picture of the hook up. I still can't figure out how the power gets to the torch through those plastic hoses. Is there a copper lead in those lines?

Another day of 5 below zero but I turned on three space heaters and started working on the flow problem. The first thing I did was unhook the water out hose and turned the machine on....plenty of flow there. Then I unhooked the return flow line from the cool mate and no flow. So then I unhooked the in and out lines from the torch and blow it out with air. Hooked it all back up and got good flow.......then it stopped! I did that three times and every time, it got clogged up and the flow stopped.

I am going back out there now and doing a total cleaning on everything, the tank, the filter, the hoses. Maybe it was just a lot of crud the got knocked loose in the move and such.

More the follow.