Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Battery fix using mig welder

Long time since I've been here. I remember reading about this somewhere and was wondering if anyone has been successful? I have a box full of DeWalt batteries and figure what the heck, if I can bring back one or two it might be worth it. I know it's not recommended and probably kinda dangerous but if someone has done it successfully why not try it.
    [B]Trail Blazer 302
    Suitcase X-TREME 12VS
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Coolmate 4
    Millermatic 175
    Millermatic 251
    HT Powermax 180
    Victor O/A
    DeWalt DW872 Chop Saw
    Lathe
    Milling Machine
    Bandsaw
    No matter how hard I try, I always hear about the other guy who can do it better, faster and cheaper. Sure would like to meet him someday but no one seems to be able to find him when I ask. [B]

I'd do it just for fun to watch them melt and blow up

Default Glad to see you're still around

I know you know your way around welders and such and have more than the average gasp of electrons doing their thing. I was thinking it was'nt really smart and with two feet of snow on the ground I would have to do it in the shop. If I do try it it will be outside and I'll be sure to video it. Could be epic.
    [B]Trail Blazer 302
    Suitcase X-TREME 12VS
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Coolmate 4
    Millermatic 175
    Millermatic 251
    HT Powermax 180
    Victor O/A
    DeWalt DW872 Chop Saw
    Lathe
    Milling Machine
    Bandsaw
    No matter how hard I try, I always hear about the other guy who can do it better, faster and cheaper. Sure would like to meet him someday but no one seems to be able to find him when I ask. [B]

I learned this the hard way and it cost a lot of money. Thro that **** in the dumpster and buy some new batteries, buy a couple extra and get on with it. Having all the rest of the overhead, like buying a new truck and not putting gas in etc. We own 10 welding machines and 20 trucks and not going to replace some years old well worn batteries.

Why not just have them rebuilt? Its a fraction of the cost for new...

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by JWDESIGNS View Post
    Why not just have them rebuilt? Its a fraction of the cost for new...
    Has anyone had experience with rebuilt batteries? It has been many years since I dismantled a Makita 9 Volt, it was two stacks of 1.25V c cell Ni Cad with leads soldered on

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Has anyone had experience with rebuilt batteries? It has been many years since I dismantled a Makita 9 Volt, it was two stacks of 1.25V c cell Ni Cad with leads soldered on
    I have a friend who has a few done every year...Battteries Plus does it I believe.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

My brother is a general contractor and he swears by the rebuilt batteries...