Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cruzier,

I appreciate you taking the time to go into that in more detail. I am how ever unfamiliar with a couple of the abbreviations you used.

STT = ???

SRH = ???

IGBT =????

While I've got a pretty decent reference library of technical books on welding (and a lot of them have chapters on power sources and electrical characteristics for the different welding processes) the problem is, is that they were all pretty much written 30+ years a go and don't have much useful information concerning all the advances that have been made in power source technology in the last 20 years. Would you happen to have a recommendation for a more up to date text book that would give a guy a better general understanding in to this new inverter base technology?

Thanks.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Quote Originally Posted by 4956 View Post
    Cruzier,

I appreciate you taking the time to go into that in more detail. I am how ever unfamiliar with a couple of the abbreviations you used.

STT = ???

SRH = ???

IGBT =????

While I've got a pretty decent reference library of technical books on welding (and a lot of them have chapters on power sources and electrical characteristics for the different welding processes) the problem is, is that they were all pretty much written 30+ years a go and don't have much useful information concerning all the advances that have been made in power source technology in the last 20 years. Would you happen to have a recommendation for a more up to date text book that would give a guy a better general understanding in to this new inverter base technology?

Thanks.
    Sorry guy, wish I could go into it further, But I'm swamped, being welder tech and all....

I can help a little bit here:

STT - surface tension transfer. A lincoln proprietary mig process.

Srh - Miller Srh, a model of welder of theirs.

Igbt - an electronic component that makes up a significant portion of an inverter welder. Some welders use mosfets instead of igbt's.

Google these terms for more information if you are interested.

Regards,
    Jason