Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trailblazer 325 efi

Hey boys just seeing what other guys are running there setting on for the new trailblazer 325 efi? Just picked mine up couple days ago been running on xx10 and playing with arc control but bead doesn't seem to stack in there nice? just seeing if guys are switching back and forth from xx18 to xx10 or playing with arc control i like to just find my sweet spot and leave it any input would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

We've been finding that if they are in the cold, things inside don't like to get frozen, so a Full quilted cover and a pan heater to keep things warm benifits the machines greatly. Aloota wind in them when running freezes stuff we don't want to freeze, is another reason for the cover.

Though if your in a warm area, the machines tend to work ok

Thanks cruizer. should a guy be changing the hrz on them? or how about the oil miller says 5w30?

Ahh, tough to change the HZ on them as everything is run through an encoder. Not the best idea of Millers cause it FREEZES IN THE COLD as does the electric solinoid tank vent Might take a note from Lincoln in which the Ranger 27hp 305G efi DOSEN'T USE AN ENCODER and has a upper tank non electric vent. IE, you need a full cover for the 325 for this and a few other reasons.

I think the summer time over heat situation has been solved though.

As for oil, a good quality 5-40 synthetic diesel oil ( as it has no additives)
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-15-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Use a ph2835 oil filter, laf5802 is the air filter.Those are Lubrifiner#s Way better than factory in this case.
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-15-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Just a note, while the Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI says in the books 25hp, I've only ever seen 1, The other 50 or so that have come in for setup have been 27hp, never the less, no encoder on any.

The 325 like all the hybrid inverter type machines need a 1/0 stinger cable, you may have 2/0 going to the stinger whip, but most guys attach a much smaller stinger cable. As with all these hybrid machines the unit is sensing a feedback and can't pick it up with the tiny lead. We've determined that a min 1/0 lead is best. Then you'll find that arc control actually works after.

Now if you think, well thats just too heavy, then you should be using a welding cable like CCI Exelelene, as its a light wt flexable zero noise cored cable. And that is all I sell here, after testing them all.
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-15-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Spelling problems

Hey thanks alot crazier muchly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    The 325 like all the hybrid inverter type machines need a 1/0 stinger cable, you may have 2/0 going to the stinger whip, but most guys attach a much smaller stinger cable. As with all these hybrid machines the unit is sensing a feedback and can't pick it up with the tiny lead. We've determined that a min 1/0 lead is best. Then you'll find that arc control actually works after.

Now if you think, well thats just too heavy, then you should be using a welding cable like CCI Exelelene, as its a light wt flexable zero noise cored cable. And that is all I sell here, after testing them all.
    Cruizer,

How could CCI Excelene be any more "light weight" than a comparable sized cable from another manufacturer? I'll grant you that it's more flexible than a lot of other welding cable out there but hasn't most of that been achieved by their using more of a finer strand of copper wire to make up the core. Wouldn't welding cables (no matter who the manufacturer) all have to have the same cross sectional area of copper for both to be rated as 1/0?

"Zero noise" is a term I've never before heard applied to welding cable. What is it about the CCI Excelene's construction that you think would make it any more noise resistant than any of the other cable that's out there? I've stripped a lot of welding cable ends over the years and I can't recall ever seeing anything other than basically plain brown paper between the inner strands and the outer cover.

Also, this is the first I've heard of one of these hybrid inverter type machines needing at least a 1/0 cable stinger for proper voltage sensing feed back. It's my understanding that, that "voltage sensing" feed back is being gotten from the ground lead. And that it's on this side of the electrical circuit where it's really important to use the larger 1/0 and 2/0 cable to keep voltage drop off as low as possible. And the other important thing being to keep this "ground path" as short and inductance loop free as possible.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Got a thinner jacket, plus the small filliments are cored into packets of 30 . These act as cores, unlike the cheaper brands that run straight filiments. Cores disipate electrical noise. You may notice that say if your running a STT machine with cheap cable and someone flops another cord over it, say off a SRH stick machine. The STT will pickup the electrical noise from it and go crazy!. If that STT cord was Excellene, and someone dropped a straight run cord over the STT's. The Stt would not notice anything, and just purr away.. I get this in busy large shops all the time.

Being cored, it also bends quite nicely through to -50C. Straight run cable simply doesn't bend well even at 0 deg C.

The cores also make the cable od much smaller in comparison. Probably shouldn't of said lighter though it is slightly. Way better than Seoprene or Flexaprene though. A Bonus is that you'll have no more headaches trouble shooting that mysterious ghost problem.

Another problem is with the engine drives, Especially pertaining to the ones that are sorta Hybrid inverters (the ones running IGBT's) they run at between 20 and 40 Khz. This is also a brobem with high production, Again the Excellene cords pick up nothing and do not through electrical noise everywhere. The feedback back to the boards have no extra static to confuse them. And this is what we want, a nice clean signal.

As for feedback, say if we are running a hundred feet out to a weld with 2/0, then plug on a #4 stinger whip. that #4 stinger whip causes just TO MUCH RESISTANCE to the weld arc, and thus feedback to the machine is diminished. If you have a Arc controller, like on the Lincolns, Ranger/Vantage, or newer Miller 350's. The Machine NEEDS to know, whats going on at the actual weld so it can adjust its settings to compensate for your stickout and such. SIMPLY can't do it, and does nothing with a small stinger cable. So We recommend a 1/0 cable

Now to make this reading even longer, these machine have to be set for the proper RPM, this is done with a meter that reads frequency (HZ) With the probes stuffed into the 120Vac terminals on an engine drive, Vantage Perkins at 61.3, Ranger at 62.5, Classic at 60.5, Miller 350 at 61.3. Miller 325 at 62.5, Miller 302 diesel or gas at 62.5. Miller pro uses SCR's but Must be set at 61.3. Engines running too slow will take out the control boards, engines running too fast will not line up the wave forms.
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-19-2014 at 11:18 AM.