Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default welding bracket on air compressor

I got a older craftman air compressor that prolly around 15 yrs old! Its a horizontal tank 33gal, motor fried out! I bought a new 60gal for the shop! I want to take the old 33 tank an make it a vertical tank to save room on my mobile truck I am doing! So, my plan is to cut the old bracket off an weld it to the top, plus a few legs or stand on bottom! To risky? Just buy a vertical tank?

Only you know the condition of the tank. Being 15 years old it most likely has rust issues on the inside. They rust from the inside out. No one here can tell you if it is good or not.

Air tanks can be welded if done properly but if they are weak it's just asking for issues. Being on a mobile truck you need to ask what if it starts leaking while on a job & you have to stop the job until it is fixed. What will that cost vs. buying a new tank right now.
    Last edited by MMW; 02-12-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

I've had a number of tanks fail from rust. None have failed catastrophically. In my experience they begin to leak first, in each case at the lowest point on the tank. If you turn the tank 90 degrees, the old weak point moves. point it away from harm, once it leaks, scrap it.
    As for welds, I don't know your skill level. Maybe build brackets to clamp to the outside of the tank. After any welds to the tank, it should be pressure tested.

I understand where u guys are going! I am a decent welder, I can weld it the first time an have it fixed! Best to spend the money an get a vertical gas compressor already set up? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help

You might have a hard time finding a gas powered vertical compressor. They aren't that common.

My vote is for a Honda engine, they are very reliable. How much air (cfm) do you need? Air tools, carbon arc?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Well get a vertical tank an mount a gas motor instead of electric! Mostly air tool(1/2 impact, 3/8 ratchet, chisel) eventually a plasma cutter! Have extra torch set to hold out till I get one! I was thinking around 14 CFM! 14CFM be to small? I work on a lot of agriculture equipment so its rusty as ****! I am not looking to spend more than needed, something to last a long time

you own the tank, wont take long to figure out if it is any good, if i bought every thing that i wanted instead of building what i wanted, my skill level would be less and my wallet would be skinnier. i am a firm believer of fixing before replacing, just weld on some 14 to 10 ga. thick pieces of flat onto the tank where any leg ot what ever will be welded to the tank, thickness is not critical, just thick enough

Might want to open a port first...but you knew that.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

I mite go for it! I will pressure test it in the field just in case it blows up! I let u guys know, I got it cleaned an everything!Just got to weld an connect everything!

Exclamation

Just remember, the motor and pump don't have to be mounted on the tank. Mount them where convenient then run a tube to the tank.