Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Welding Table Height (What do you consider the best Height)

I just found a piece of 77x42 1/2X3/4 plate at our local salvage yard. I plan to make a new welding table out of it (if I ever get that chunk of Iron out of my truck).
    My question What is the best finished height for one?

Cool

Depends how tall you are...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

It also depends on the type of work you will be doing. Mine is about 30" high, about desk height. I like it because it's easy to climb up on when building stuff & also if you have a large object it is easier to weld on the top. I use an office chair for tig work. I can always block up items on the table or block up the table itself if needed. If it's to high to start then you can't make it lower.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Woodworkers spend a lot of time discussing this.
    There are several books on building woodworking cabinets, benches, etc.
    They have some reasonable guides and rules of thumb for this

Frank

37" is the absolute perfect height..... For me.

27 inches for me. Low enough to sit down and tig, still use a positioner without being to high and if I have to bend to work on something once in a while then so be it. Im only 5'6" tho, so thats my preferance.

I like a taller table, 36'' to 38 ''. Sitting on a stool is just right plus the additional height helps bring the work closer to my eyes; eyes ain't what they used to be. Plus when standing it's easier on your back.
    See what height feels good to you. There is no real right or wrong height. Being comfortable is the key. Sitting down resting arm on the table is nice unless the table is low they your back starts to bother you.
    If it's too tall you could weld in high heels .

Default Welding Table Height (What do you consider the best Height)

Make it the same height as other work surfaces u have then if u are working with 20 foot lengths and such u can easily support them for chops swing etc

That is a nice size, plenty long.

Quote Originally Posted by yogi93555 View Post
    I just found a piece of 77x42 1/2X3/4 plate at our local salvage yard. I plan to make a new welding table out of it (if I ever get that chunk of Iron out of my truck).
    My question What is the best finished height for one?
    For a table you intend to stand at to do most of your work, about waist high, belt level, whatever that happens to be in your case. If you intend to sit at times to work at the table, just build your own custom height stool, or make it adjustable in height .