Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Not too many slate house foundations in Los Angeles...
    Not in Vermont either, Those on the west side of the state where the slate quarries and rattle snakes are, can be considered east New York. Most of those people don't know how to pronounce syrup. They are beyond hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Not in Vermont either, Those on the west side of the state where the slate quarries and rattle snakes are, can be considered east New York. Most of those people don't know how to pronounce syrup. They are beyond hope!
    we did in East Braintree (Snowsville)....

grey slate and quartz from on the property

house and barn foundations laid about 1840.

heck...we had fence posts made of slate...
    Last edited by H80N; 02-20-2014 at 06:08 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    we did in East Braintree (Snowsville)....

grey slate and quartz from on the property

house and barn foundations laid about 1840.

heck...we had fence posts made of slate...
    That's cool! I was of the belief that slate was limited to the south end of the west edge, this is, I believe the only area where rattle snakes can be found. On a kayak day, we found one at Glen Lake. I am told the layered slate of the cliffs along lower Lake Champlain have crevasses deep enough so the cold blooded creatures don't freeze to death. I am 2 miles from Danby Marble Quarry where the Lincoln Memorial and a number of famous buildings were quarried. Here many old buildings have marble foundations. doorsteps are often made from headstones. Some misspelled, some never paid for, and I think, some stolen.
    The mountain I see out my window is littered with the ruins of the marble industry from as far back as 200 years ago, but mostly its heyday began in 1845 when the railroad was built. At 11 cubic feet per ton, transportation by horse was limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by DSL Power View Post
    The city where I live just asked me today if I would be willing to come do this. I don't think I want to dead short my trailblazer 302 for this. Also my insurance company said they wouldn't cover me at all for that type of work.
    You short circuit your welder every day. I would be concerned about copper. the rim principal makes it a great conductor of electricity. much of the heat you generate will be in the welder and its leads. Some underground splices use non conductive parts, and at these couplings pipes tend to burn off. A local guy is sort of famous for this blunder, again and again. Be careful where current is flowing you don't want it. Lots of ground wires to water heaters boilers jacuzzi tubs and dishwashers have burned up the full length of the cable. The Danby Town Office has a permanent burn up the wall, across the ceiling and down the other wall from a farmer thawing water.
    Warm water siphoned through a stiff plastic air compressor hose is as effective and safer.
    Last edited by WillieB; 02-20-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Great thread. I often wondered when I saw in welder manuals do not pipe thaw what they were talking about.

S Berry, I did get a Hot water pressure washer, A under ground contractor neighbor of mine that I weld for bought a 5HP electric unit from Northern tools.

It puts out 2750 PSI at 2.5 gallons. which was not enough for him so he bought a bigger one that would knock of the dirt quicker.

This one seems okay to me compared to what I used to have and the fact that it puts out 250 degree water really cleans the grease away.

However the unit is 8 months old and I already had to take it in to have them replace the electrical contactor.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

I found a guy with a 600 amp 1946 welder with a 6 cylinder Chrysler engine that is run off propane, he wants $ 500.00 for it.

So my next question is : What is the going rate for thawing pipes per hour.
    Is it worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    S Berry, I did get a Hot water pressure washer, A under ground contractor neighbor of mine that I weld for bought a 5HP electric unit from Northern tools.

It puts out 2750 PSI at 2.5 gallons. which was not enough for him so he bought a bigger one that would knock of the dirt quicker.

This one seems okay to me compared to what I used to have and the fact that it puts out 250 degree water really cleans the grease away.

However the unit is 8 months old and I already had to take it in to have them replace the electrical contactor.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

I found a guy with a 600 amp 1946 welder with a 6 cylinder Chrysler engine that is run off propane, he wants $ 500.00 for it.

So my next question is : What is the going rate for thawing pipes per hour.
    Is it worth my time.
    I want that hog, I'm dying to know if it is like the one I had. Mine was Westinghouse. It had a Chrysler industrial 236 engine. These engines were built! 25" block they had more meat between cylinders, and more bearings than the 230 23" block used in all the military, and earlier civilian trucks. The 23" as my Power Wagon has is notorious for failed head gaskets between the front and rear two cylinders. DC only at 36 Volts DC 600 amps it welded smooth. I hate myself for letting it go. I want another! I don't know what it weighed but I had several blowouts using ordinary car tires. 6.50- 16 if I recall.
    Last edited by WillieB; 02-21-2014 at 05:49 PM.

If you do thaw water with a welder this hog would be overkill. I can't think why, but old timers believed DC didn't work as well as AC. I suspect it had to do with big honkin diodes, the one you are talking about has no diodes.

Willie B.
    They recommend AC because it creates more heat for the same amount of amps.

Probably pretty close to accurate. I am kicking myself for not having the foresight to have a portable steamer this year, I have a truck I could use seasonal that would be ideal. Its just one of those pieces I never put together and at one time had access to. I don't hook/unhook mine, its planted. Be neat to see what could be found at the rental store. Lower water use is nice when you got to haul it, besides gleaning they are used for all kinds of jet/ice removal, simple melting. running hot water on demand/location.

You of all people would be a poster child adding this piece of equipment, kind of like your crane was such a huge asset. After you got one you cant imagine life without it. I can fix any part of mine so its unlikely I will have to come up with 5 or 6 K replacement, I had it 30 yrs. I would have to read the directions on making steam with it, I use it as pressure washer and free flow hot water.

I was living in my shop and had a nice date from out of town, I filled a horse tank with it in my wash bay and made a hot tub.
    Last edited by Sberry; 02-22-2014 at 01:02 PM.