Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Need Pipe Thawing welder

For the first time in a long time I've been getting calls for Pipe Thawing, Sure wish I had a old 400 amp @ 100% duty cycle machine that I didn't like.

I wont do it with the trail blazers or Pipe pro ( To Expensive to fix. )

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    For the first time in a long time I've been getting calls for Pipe Thawing, Sure wish I had a old 400 amp @ 100% duty cycle machine that I didn't like.

At the very least, anything from Ranger 8 and up!!! It really doesn't take much!

Griff
    Last edited by griff01; 02-10-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: add on

The old lincoln tombstone AC machines worked well for thawing piping. It had a circle around the 75 amp setting which was designated for thawing.

Ok ok...maybe I'm a little young or undereducated on the subject.... But what or how do you thaw pipes with a welder???? Thanks

The city where I live just asked me today if I would be willing to come do this. I don't think I want to dead short my trailblazer 302 for this. Also my insurance company said they wouldn't cover me at all for that type of work.

You just hook up a ground on one end of the frozen pipe and I take some heavy coper wire and wrap it around the other end and hook my stinger on it. You have to make sure that there isn't any sections of PVC or any other place for the electricity to go other than between your ground and stinger or you may burn down a house or the neighbors depending on what your hooked to.

I miss my miller Big 40! Thawed many pipes with that workhorse of a machine.

Ok ok I see... kinda like a super duty heat tape! What amps do you run to do that? (I don't intend to do this, just wondering)

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

Portable,
    I used to do a lot of this type of work. Saved my bacon during slow winter months. You can hook up a couple of smaller machines in parallel. If you double the input amps, you get 4 times the heat into the pipe. I have put as many as 4 ranger size machines on larger lines. That way you can keep the welders within their duty cycle. Be very cautious doing this type of work. There is so much utility congestion, crap repairs, etc. in the ground these days, it's very easy to start a fire in structure a half block away. Make your customer sign a waiver of liability. Your insurance carrier will probably not cover you for this type of work. I put urban pipe thawing in the same category as base jumping or wing walking. Just remember that current follows the path of least resistance. Use an Ohmmeter to check your hookup before you power up. Should be very low ohms. If you hear any 60 cycle hum in your digital ohm meter, you are reading the power line grounds. A fire starter for sure! Pull off. Not worth the risk to continue. Ask me how I know. Good money for sure if your heart can take the stress.
    Good Luck,
    Lake

Not sure if the stress/legality/ imminent danger/risk for fire/poss equipment damage outweighs the compensation... doesn't sound like a situation I'd want to be in...