Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
    Wow, that was incredibly useless (the "manual", that is)

The good news is, they got the math (apparently) right - 8kw @ 240 volts works out to 33 amps (33.33333 actually) - other than that, not much info. NO mention of running electronics to speak of, but so far I'm thinking it's either the welder or you, probably NOT the genny.

I'd still wait til you get the verdict from the seller - if THEY can make it work, be sure that YOU can make it work at their facility. If THEY can, but YOU can't, I would ask about local classes and consider it a "new life challenge" :=) - then, once you get the hang of it, you may find that your genny "magically healed itself" - but all of this is a moot point til you know the welder is/is not OK.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment, it's too crappy a weather out for me to wanna bail just yet :=) Steve
    Thanks for checking that out. Honestly don't know what to say about the generator. Unless the air filter is so dirty that it's bogging something down, I'm not sure what it could be.

Unless I'm so terrible at welding that I'd force the machine the shut itself down like this every time, I doubt it's "me" causing the problem. It also seems to operate okay at low thickness settings (gauge metals). I'm not totally ignorant on how to operate a welder, and using the wrong settings should result in poor welds, not machine malfunction.

Tomorrow's return trip to the shop will hopefully bring new revelations.
    Is the generator bogging down when you are welding?

Sounds like it from what you said above...

Also I know that I did short the contact tip on my M-25 gun on the 252 and the welder did NOT like that. I can't imagine what would have happened if running off a genny.
    Anyways let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Just so you know, I have that exact same generator in my storage. (my friends) I did adjust the HZ to factory specs, but it performs well with the plasma, and Inverter mig machines I have plugged into it. It's clean enough power to work just fine IMO.
    Good to hear someone has had good luck with this generator. Mine also seems to power the plasma cutter just fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Is the generator bogging down when you are welding?

Sounds like it from what you said above...

Also I know that I did short the contact tip on my M-25 gun on the 252 and the welder did NOT like that. I can't imagine what would have happened if running off a genny.
    Anyways let us know.
    It bogs down, but strangely it doesn't bog down every time I weld, or even right when I start the arc. When it bogs down, it's mid-weld. I was reading a solid 240V under load with the wire still stubbing, so things aren't working right even when its not faltering on me.

I gotta say, I find it interesting that you didn't think to mention that the unit came to you DAMAGED, until the 48th POST in the thread - can't help wondering what ELSE you didn't think was worth mentioning

In a few of my previous lives, I spent quite a bit of time "phone troubleshooting" on audio and video gear - if I found out halfway thru a conversation that the customer had held back information THAT IMPORTANT, I would "accidentally" hang up on 'em.

Try and do better, please... Steve

Bukitcase nailed it perfectly. I just about laughed out loud when I read that there was damage to the unit. Of course this wouldn't be any relevant info to somebody troubleshooting an erratic machine... Also, you just now posted how your genny has been behaving while welding and I gotta say if you would have just said that in the beginning of your thread I would have been leaning much more towards your welder having an issue, not the generator. In my experience, if a genny will power a unit, it will either work on arc start or not. I haven't had it ever start without a hitch, then mid weld bogs down and screw up the bead. That symptom makes me think something is binding on the wire feed system or something (bent motor output shaft or something) which was likely caused when it was DROPPED. Maybe you should pull the cover off and pull the trigger and watch the feed system operate and look for oblong movement or binding.

Oh also, all of this could be related to your drag tension on the spool being set too tight. Slowly over heating the feed motor... Just thought I would throw that out there again since you have never said if it has been checked. Good luck. Let us know what's the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Bukitcase nailed it perfectly. I just about laughed out loud when I read that there was damage to the unit. Of course this wouldn't be any relevant info to somebody troubleshooting an erratic machine... Also, you just now posted how your genny has been behaving while welding and I gotta say if you would have just said that in the beginning of your thread I would have been leaning much more towards your welder having an issue, not the generator. In my experience, if a genny will power a unit, it will either work on arc start or not. I haven't had it ever start without a hitch, then mid weld bogs down and screw up the bead. That symptom makes me think something is binding on the wire feed system or something (bent motor output shaft or something) which was likely caused when it was DROPPED. Maybe you should pull the cover off and pull the trigger and watch the feed system operate and look for oblong movement or binding.

Oh also, all of this could be related to your drag tension on the spool being set too tight. Slowly over heating the feed motor... Just thought I would throw that out there again since you have never said if it has been checked. Good luck. Let us know what's the outcome.
    I asked him about that in post #4 and he answered in post #5 but the fact that the service center said the unit works. Like you said he really needs to have the service center operate the machine in front of him.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I asked him about that in post #4 and he answered in post #5 but the fact that the service center said the unit works. Like you said he really needs to have the service center operate the machine in front of him.
    And brought up again in post #12. Talking on deff ears.

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    Called Miller again, explained everything, .... When I said the unit came broken (door was broken clean off), they said it might be shipping damage related.
    SOOOO, when were you going to tell the people here that were trying to help you?
    And in another post you said "I just hope it doesn't get scratched or dinged in the process..."
    The F'n door was ripped off!!! What else could they do to it!

Edit: I see others thought the same thing...(I posted as soon as I read it.)
    Last edited by Doughboyracer; 02-18-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Yup, like I said - "bout time to "accidentally" hang up... Steve

Guys, guys....come on. You think Miller and Weldfabulous didn't know this? As soon as I got the machine, Weldfab got a call from me saying it came broken. They told me it must have gotten so cold that the plastic shattered. They then instructed me to contact Miller to get new hinges drop shipped. I figured "what do i know, i suppose i'll buy that story for now...". Miller even asked me if the machine was new or had previous repair history when I talked to them about what's been happening, and told them about the broken door (each time I called). It wasn't until my 4th phone call with Miller that someone took the whole broken access door thing seriously. Honestly, thinking about it now I realize just how much of a jolt the thing must have taken to have the hinges completely rip out, but when Miller and Weldfab kept playing it down as if it was no big deal what was I supposed to think? I also told everyone on my WeldingWeb thread and no one seemed to think much of it.
    Having everyone here trying to convince me that the problem was *me* also fueled the search for something *I* was doing or set up wrong. Ah well, the machine is on its way back to Weldfabulous as we speak.
    Last edited by kestrel452; 02-18-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Sorry, I thought you guys were talking about the drive tension, because I've been referring to the spool tension.

Either way, hopefully you get a new machine shipped and all is good. Let us know how it gets resolved.