Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    What does your volt meter read across the 2 hots? I'm not talking the hot to ground potential. On the same 2 hot leads what is the AC frequency? Are you actually getting 60hz? I am assuming a 3 wire receptacle on the Genny. Is it 6-50r to match the welders 6-50p? Or do you have an adapter of some kind?
    My meter won't read across two hots, but both hots register to be the correct voltage. I have a 10 gauge cord coming from the L14-30 receptacle, and an adapter that changes it to 6-50. Got it from Evseadapter.

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    My meter won't read across two hots, but both hots register to be the correct voltage. I have a 10 gauge cord coming from the L14-30 receptacle, and an adapter that changes it to 6-50. Got it from Evseadapter.
    You need to plug it into land based power, and try it. Does your Generator have a floating Neutral or are the Ground, and Neutral bonded together? It should be the later. Ohm meter will tell you that info.

The grounding bonding shouldnt be an issue at 240. I agree with getting a good circuit, its a long term investment and worth the effort to get a home port for it with the right power.

I know it seems unfair to blame the user but,,,, new machine, new user, my money is on the operator especially since its been to the shop already. Put location in profile.

Have you ever mig welded before? Or welded of any kind? If not your beads look just about right, for a brand new user. Inconsistency is usually a sign of user error. Not saying this is for sure the case.

You say you have ran it on both voltages. I agree with everybody else that using a generator as a power source to try to diagnose something is not a good idea at all. Many welders and plasma cutters do not perform correctly ran off a generator. But then you say you also ran it on 110v. What were the conditions of use while using 110v? Extension cord? Breaker size? Do you know the other items that are putting load on that circuit? Wire size between panel and receptacle and run length? Or are you running it off your generator for 110v as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Have you ever mig welded before? Or welded of any kind? If not your beads look just about right, for a brand new user. Inconsistency is usually a sign of user error. Not saying this is for sure the case.

You say you have ran it on both voltages. I agree with everybody else that using a generator as a power source to try to diagnose something is not a good idea at all. Many welders and plasma cutters do not perform correctly ran off a generator. But then you say you also ran it on 110v. What were the conditions of use while using 110v? Extension cord? Breaker size? Do you know the other items that are putting load on that circuit? Wire size between panel and receptacle and run length? Or are you running it off your generator for 110v as well?
    I had it plugged in straight into the wall when I tried it on 110, no extention cord. I have a 50' extension cord coming from the generator, but it's 10AWG and within voltage drop limits both by a wire gauge calculator and my own multimeter readings.

What I don't get is why the machine would trip its own breaker if it wasn't getting enough power, because as I said and as shown in the video, the machine is turning itself off. I'm not really sure why a lack of power input would cause the machine to trip its internal breaker, but I know this is what it's doing because I have to flip the on/off switch back on every time it shuts off on me. What I'm going to try and do today is go for broke, once the machine starts tripping itself again I'll completely bypass the extension cord and plug the adapter right into the generator. It's going to be hella loud inside the garage but what else can I really try at this point.... Holding all other factors, there is no reason for the welder to be taxing a 8000/13500W generator to the point of self-shut down. It's a really nice generator, a Briggs and Strattion EXL8000.
    Last edited by kestrel452; 02-15-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Fixed the issue with the meter, I'm now reading a solid 240V at the generator's socket and not a volt less at the end of the cord. Having the welder plugged directly into the generator didn't make a discernible difference from having it connected via the cord. Also tried laying beads on some 1/8" off 120V mains, kept tripping the breaker even with everything else on the circuit unplugged. Had it on 1/8" Auto-Set.

You need to diagnose it on grid power. Since you didn't give your welding background, I assume that means you have none? So far I'm really leaning on operator error, and possibly input power causing the machine to act poorly on top. You did verify polarity?

Welding is not easy, many think due to worthless features like auto set anybody can pick up a torch and lay a bead. Not the case. You should read and practice as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    Fixed the issue with the meter, I'm now reading a solid 240V at the generator's socket and not a volt less at the end of the cord. Having the welder plugged directly into the generator didn't make a discernible difference from having it connected via the cord. Also tried laying beads on some 1/8" off 120V mains, kept tripping the breaker even with everything else on the circuit unplugged. Had it on 1/8" Auto-Set.
    Did you have it plugged into the 20 amp outlet? Should be run on a dedicated 20amp outlet with the 20 amp t-plug adapter for 120V

Not blaming you as an operator but is this your first attempt at MIG or are you experienced?

Could we get a close up of the beads? Looks to be very cold.

Thanks

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Did you have it plugged into the 20 amp outlet? Should be run on a dedicated 20amp outlet with the 20 amp t-plug adapter for 120V

Not blaming you as an operator but is this your first attempt at MIG or are you experienced?

Could we get a close up of the beads? Looks to be very cold.

Thanks

Eric
    Ill try and get a picture later but yes they do look cold because they look like they're sitting on top of the metal. My 120V mains are 15A.

Im not totally discounting insufficient input power as the problem, but welding 1/8" with an 8000W generator shouldn't be an issue. Don't construction crews routinely use generators to run things like welders? I have a hard time believing welders are incompatible with generators.

Take it back to TruArc and have them run the machine in front of you.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus