Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
    Oh, in answer to one of your previous questions - since a MIG is almost always a Constant Voltage source, if it's very advanced and it doesn't see enough voltage (too small a cord, etc) it will probably INCREASE its current draw in order to maintain the voltage it wants to see - so it's possible that ANY cause of undervoltage in its supply could cause the unit to draw more CURRENT, thereby popping the breaker... Steve
    Well, there wasn't any difference in how long the welder took to crap out between using my 50' 10 gauge cord and just plugging it right into the genny, so the problem is not in between the welder and the generator.

If the machine proves to work flawlessly tomorrow, I think we'll know which end the problem is truly on. My question is, if it is indeed the generator's fault, then what in the world can I do to fix that? Take it in for service, or just accept the fact that Briggs/Generac makes crap and I'll be tied down to using a socket...?

It's close enough to tomorrow by now, I'd just cross that bridge first - if you like, post the EXACT make/model # of your genny (a link to an actual manual if you have it) and I'll see what I can find out about it - I've been doing this stuff for so long, I'm getting pretty good at "reading between the lines" on specs and things, might be able to see a potential problem with that unit if there is one... Steve

It's close enough to tomorrow by now, I'd just cross that bridge first - if you like, post the EXACT make/model # of your genny (a link to an actual manual if you have it) and I'll see what I can find out about it - I've been doing this stuff for so long, I'm getting pretty good at "reading between the lines" on specs and things, might be able to see a potential problem with that unit if there is one... Steve
    Thank you Steve I appreciate it

The make/model doesn't get any more specific than it being a Briggs & Stratton EXL8000. Bought it around 6 years ago and only has 13 hours on it. Here's a manual: http://dl.owneriq.net/b/bcf86906-c1a...dc2c07d516.pdf
    Last edited by kestrel452; 02-16-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Default Use the generator for light outage only

I'd be afraid to use a gen for under a $1000 bucks on an expensive welder. (dirty output)

Might be a good backup generator for executions at your local Pen, but I wouldn't use it on any expensive electronics.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

Wow, that was incredibly useless (the "manual", that is)

The good news is, they got the math (apparently) right - 8kw @ 240 volts works out to 33 amps (33.33333 actually) - other than that, not much info. NO mention of running electronics to speak of, but so far I'm thinking it's either the welder or you, probably NOT the genny.

I'd still wait til you get the verdict from the seller - if THEY can make it work, be sure that YOU can make it work at their facility. If THEY can, but YOU can't, I would ask about local classes and consider it a "new life challenge" :=) - then, once you get the hang of it, you may find that your genny "magically healed itself" - but all of this is a moot point til you know the welder is/is not OK.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment, it's too crappy a weather out for me to wanna bail just yet :=) Steve
    Last edited by BukitCase; 02-16-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Wow, that was incredibly useless (the "manual", that is)

The good news is, they got the math (apparently) right - 8kw @ 240 volts works out to 33 amps (33.33333 actually) - other than that, not much info. NO mention of running electronics to speak of, but so far I'm thinking it's either the welder or you, probably NOT the genny.

I'd still wait til you get the verdict from the seller - if THEY can make it work, be sure that YOU can make it work at their facility. If THEY can, but YOU can't, I would ask about local classes and consider it a "new life challenge" :=) - then, once you get the hang of it, you may find that your genny "magically healed itself" - but all of this is a moot point til you know the welder is/is not OK.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment, it's too crappy a weather out for me to wanna bail just yet :=) Steve
    Thanks for checking that out. Honestly don't know what to say about the generator. Unless the air filter is so dirty that it's bogging something down, I'm not sure what it could be.

Unless I'm so terrible at welding that I'd force the machine the shut itself down like this every time, I doubt it's "me" causing the problem. It also seems to operate okay at low thickness settings (gauge metals). I'm not totally ignorant on how to operate a welder, and using the wrong settings should result in poor welds, not machine malfunction.

Tomorrow's return trip to the shop will hopefully bring new revelations.

I may have missed it, but did you ever check the spool tension? I think I suggested that a ways back. It should have almost no drag to it. Also your drive tension may be too tight?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Looking forward to the results. I imagine you are pretty frustrated, OK REALLY PISSED ! That would make anyone upset. Hopefully we'll all know in the next couple of days. Sometimes alcohol helps.
    I hooked up a multimeter between the plug today and tested the voltage drop under load. It was within limits, didn't go under 220 and averaged around 240 under load.

Called Miller again, explained everything, and they said it doesn't sound like it's anything I'm doing wrong so they're going to get the ball rolling on an exchange. When I said the unit came broken (door was broken clean off), they said it might be shipping damage related. Got to love that top-tier Miller customer service.

Well, I'm happy for you, but in general, as far as everyone else learning from your experience, that sucks.

I guess as an old jet mechanic, I feel the best way to know that you've properly troubleshot a problem is to duplicate it under controlled circumstances, eliminate all other possibilities, change the bad part and then confirm the fix.

I guess we'll have to wait until the new welder arrives and you hook it up to your generator just like this one was. Please be sure to post how well the new one works under the same conditions this one was under. Thanks.

Just so you know, I have that exact same generator in my storage. (my friends) I did adjust the HZ to factory specs, but it performs well with the plasma, and Inverter mig machines I have plugged into it. It's clean enough power to work just fine IMO.