Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Like I have already said, welders and plasma cutters frequently do not run properly off generator power. Many generators do not produce clean, consistent power. To troubleshoot the machine I really recommend using grid 220.

How many people have to tell you to diag the machine on grid power before you do? If you want help then you have to listen to suggestions and take them seriously. Otherwise don't bother asking for help.

This is an incredibly helpful place for people who ask questions and take suggestions and criticism seriously. I hope you get it figured out but in the mean time try the little things we are saying.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    How many people have to tell you to diag the machine on grid power before you do? If you want help then you have to listen to suggestions and take them seriously. Otherwise don't bother asking for help.

This is an incredibly helpful place for people who ask questions and take suggestions and criticism seriously. I hope you get it figured out but in the mean time try the little things we are saying.
    +1.... that sure would be the simplest way to eliminate variables to exclude the welding machine itself... or point to it...

but this is just going around in circles... and it sounds like a bunch of people who are giving you good troubleshooting advice are starting to get plenty frustrated...

is there some reason you are unable to test it on grid power??

Some generators do not provide clean enough power to support a welder..
    What brand and model generator is it??

are you living off grid and not have grid power available??
    Last edited by H80N; 02-16-2014 at 07:32 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post

What suggestions which I haven't already stated I've tried have I ignored? Does me saying "I have already tried XXXXX" count as not taking people's suggestions seriously? Getting short with me over having not tried the welder on a 240V wall socket seems a little crude, because as I've said I just have 120V mains and both Miller and True Arc said my generator should be able to power the unit just fine. So obviously I haven't been able to try it on 240V mains since it was suggested just *yesterday*. Also as I pointed out I'm not discounting insufficient input as the problem, but it's not a consistent theory with what I've been told by both Miller and their respective service shop. If it makes you feel any better I had already decided to try it on a hard wired 240V socket, plus pursue installing a 30A 220V outlet in the garage because of this problem I'm having since it was what members here started saying to try...

I truly appreciate the help I've received so far here, and I don't want posts like yours to make people think I don't. I just don't have the capacity to try every suggestion right away. The gentleman from True Arc was generous enough to offer to let me bring the machine over and run it off his 240V mains. So tomorrow I'm going to haul it, plus my gas bottle and PPE to see if I can't get it to stall mid-weld again. If it doesn't, then that excludes pretty much everything except my grid at home. I'm not using a crappy generator, it's a Briggs and Stratton EXL8000, but of course any piece of equipment is capable of not working properly. But I did read a solid 240V coming from it, so who knows what the problem with it is. Is there any way to check the "cleanliness" of its power???

As usual, thank you for the help guys. Don't think that it goes ignored or unappreciated
    Last edited by kestrel452; 02-16-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Looking forward to the results. I imagine you are pretty frustrated, OK REALLY PISSED ! That would make anyone upset. Hopefully we'll all know in the next couple of days. Sometimes alcohol helps.

Before I sold my 211 and replaced it with a 252, I never ran it on a genny OR on 120 volts so can't help there -

The ONLY way to verify that your genny isn't "dropping the ball" is to test it under load. Even a 1 kw genny will show you no voltage drop, even with a 1000' extension cord on it.

If you have access to a dual channel oscilloscope with capability of line sync, you could have a friend try welding while you look at the 240 volts - when you first pull the trigger, you will see the trace (synced to grid power, NOT genny power, IOW the scope should be powered by grid) the trace should move left to right, indicating it is lower freq. than grid - then, IF the genny can keep up, it should stabilize the trace on the scope so it stays nearly still on screen. If not, then your genny isn't putting out 60 hZ power -

"clean" power should look like a smooth, un-distorted sine wave (google images with that phrase if you're not sure) - if you see anything else, especially "spikes", it's not "clean".

Not sure how much further you wanna take this til I know if you can do any of it... Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
    Before I sold my 211 and replaced it with a 252, I never ran it on a genny OR on 120 volts so can't help there -

The ONLY way to verify that your genny isn't "dropping the ball" is to test it under load. Even a 1 kw genny will show you no voltage drop, even with a 1000' extension cord on it.

If you have access to a dual channel oscilloscope with capability of line sync, you could have a friend try welding while you look at the 240 volts - when you first pull the trigger, you will see the trace (synced to grid power, NOT genny power, IOW the scope should be powered by grid) the trace should move left to right, indicating it is lower freq. than grid - then, IF the genny can keep up, it should stabilize the trace on the scope so it stays nearly still on screen. If not, then your genny isn't putting out 60 hZ power -

"clean" power should look like a smooth, un-distorted sine wave (google images with that phrase if you're not sure) - if you see anything else, especially "spikes", it's not "clean".

Not sure how much further you wanna take this til I know if you can do any of it... Steve
    I don't have any fancy equipment like an oscilloscope. Can I use a multimeter to do it?

You wouldn't be able to tell about "clean" power, for that you need to see the actual waveform or have a REALLY fancy device called a waveform analyzer or similar - but if your multimeter is upscale enough to have a FREQUENCY reading, you could at least tell how much (if any) your genny is being loaded down when you first strike an arc - you'd still need a helper, either to weld while YOU look at the frequency, or vice versa.

I agree with the other posts though, I would first verify it isn't the welder itself - and that would be best done by having the seller VERIFY it's working on grid power, both 120 and 240 volt, with you WATCHING it happen.

Again, remember that measuring voltage at the other end of a NON-loaded extension cord you'll get the same reading using a 100 foot #22 gauge wire as you would with a 100 foot #2 gauge. Only real measurement of drop on a wire is under LOAD, measured AT THE WELDER - for that, you'd need a multi-plug adapter at the end of the cord closest to the welder, and plug your multimeter into the adapter. That way, you will see the voltage the welder is REALLY getting during welding.

Any other way and you're only fooling yourself... Steve
    Last edited by BukitCase; 02-16-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Oh, in answer to one of your previous questions - since a MIG is almost always a Constant Voltage source, if it's very advanced and it doesn't see enough voltage (too small a cord, etc) it will probably INCREASE its current draw in order to maintain the voltage it wants to see - so it's possible that ANY cause of undervoltage in its supply could cause the unit to draw more CURRENT, thereby popping the breaker... Steve

Default What rest steps do you take?

When it shuts off do you have to flip the switch on the back "off and back on" or just on? (I don't even know if this even matters.)
    I know on my cart the sheet metal is really close enough to bump the on/off switch so I put in a spacer...could this be causing an on/off flicker of the machine as you move around?
    (Just brainstorming here.)
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.