Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Just something to check, are you sure the drive rollers are in the correct orientation for the wire size you are using? How is the tension on the spool? It should be very loose.

At this point I understand your frustration. I would load that welder up and anything else you would normally use to run it, extension cords, etc. Take it back to your service co. Set it up and run it- until it fails with the service tech watching over your shoulders. They might not be able to duplicate the trouble, but you sure can. Keep after them until they understand the exact nature of the problem. Then it is their issue
    to fix it. Document your trouble and their repair attempts. Worse case call miller and get them to step in. You purchased an item that is not working as intended. Be the squeeky wheel- some one will listen and take care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    I just picked up the machine from True Arc, and to my surprise the technician said the unit was fine. Well, I started using it, and it seemed okay for little bit. But, i started getting the same exact problems even with a brand new flow meter affixed to the gas bottle and 30CFH of C25 flowing. I wasn't even exceeding the duty cycle of the welder, and it kept tripping its internal breaker. I could keep hearing the machine "struggling" every time right before it'd turn itself off. Once or twice after turning the power switch back on after it killed itself I saw the overtemp light flashing, but not every time. I took a video which I'm attempting to upload to YouTube if my iPhone starts cooperating with me, and in it you can see the machine just dies with my gun stuck to the piece because the wire gets melted to the puddle.

I thought maybe Miller was right when I called them that the welder wasn't getting enough voltage, but I read a perfect 120V across each hot leg at the end of the 10 gauge cord i have coming from my 8000W generator. I also checked the electrical continuity from the clamp to just about every point on my 30FX table with my multimeter and it was just fine, and cleaned the welding table surface with a 120 grit flap disc also just to eliminate a dirty work surface as a possible variable.

I'm really displeased thusfar with my experience of owning this MIG welder, but I don't necessarily blame Miller Electric for the problem, they've been adequately helpful up to this point and I don't expect them to just leave me hanging. I love the 625 X-Treme I bought, as well as the Miller helmet and 30FX table I got, it's just this welder that's giving me a tough time. I wish Miller had hours tomorrow so I could call them, my patience is over with this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36iqBNeVbg

There is nothing wrong with the welder, it is you that is causing the issues. Nice new, welder, gloves, jacket and face bucket. Get a book out and read it, then you should solve your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the welder, it is you that is causing the issues. Nice new, welder, gloves, jacket and face bucket. Get a book out and read it, then you should solve your problems.
    And what evidence do you have, even after checking every conceivable source of setup error that it is still my fault? I'm not an idiot, I can use the information I've learned and that which was been given to me by those more experienced to solve by process of elimination what I could have set up wrong. There is nothing left to examine, the welder won't work properly.

All he is trying to say ------------ IS IF ALL FAILS READ THE MANUAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangleweld View Post
    All he is trying to say ------------ IS IF ALL FAILS READ THE MANUAL.
    Went through the manual twice before the machine even arrived

Read post #12. Blaming user and/or machine- sight unseen in this thread is unproductive.

Is your generator 8000 running watts or starting watts? What thickness steel are you welding? Mild steel right? 30cfh seems a bit high and a waste of gas. How long does it weld right before it goes bad? What is the frequency of the ac coming out of your generator? It sounds a power issue to me. Especially if they plugged it into a good grid source to diag the machine.

Is there anyone experienced that can come help you Or observe and confirm the problems?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Is your generator 8000 running watts or starting watts? What thickness steel are you welding? Mild steel right? 30cfh seems a bit high and a waste of gas. How long does it weld right before it goes bad? What is the frequency of the ac coming out of your generator? It sounds a power issue to me. Especially if they plugged it into a good grid source to diag the machine.

Is there anyone experienced that can come help you Or observe and confirm the problems?
    The manual said to use 20-30CFH, figured might as well try more gas.

It's an 8000W running, 13000 surge watt genny.

What does your volt meter read across the 2 hots? I'm not talking the hot to ground potential. On the same 2 hot leads what is the AC frequency? Are you actually getting 60hz? I am assuming a 3 wire receptacle on the Genny. Is it 6-50r to match the welders 6-50p? Or do you have an adapter of some kind?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...