Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Exclamation Brand New Millermatic 211 Fouling Up

Hey guys, I just bought a brand new Millermatic 211 from Weldfabulous as my first ever welder.

I haven't really been having much luck with it. I've tried using it on three separate occasions. The first time was pretty rough.

The second time I tried it out, a couple days ago, it went pretty well. I made a few okay-for-a-noob horizontal and flat joints like this one: http://i.imgur.com/iNtD8Ih.jpg

Today though it went pretty horribly again. I used all the same settings as when I laid beads like the above photo, and the gun was stubbing like crazy. I tried checking all the connections, gas flow, putting on a new contact tip, changing ground clamp locations, and anything else I could think of or what the guys on Welding Web could suggest. I simply could not get the machine to work right. Using niether Auto-Set or the door chart settings could get it to work right. I tried using both the 220V generator and 120V wall socket. Eventually I was able to almost cure the stubbing by pretty much halving the WFS but it's too cold because the bead now has a tendency to pile up instead of tie in. I basically went from making welds like the above photo to this: http://i.imgur.com/lag5bBD.jpg

I'm really reluctant to say so, but I think the welder might be defective. I REALLY don't want to go through the trouble of shipping this beast back to Weldfabulous if that's indeed what the problem is, maybe Miller would let me take it into a local authorized service center?

Here's a video I took of what's happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POBYWelr-AQ

Default 2 things

1st thing is that just sort of generally it didn't look like you were getting good shielding gas coverage to me. More important is the second thing; right at the start of the video it looked to me like you had about a full inch of stick out, about twice what you should have had.

Sorry, I can't see any of your pictures or video. Is there another site to use to host the images? Miller will do it for you.....
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Couple things- you have a set of Welpers, why don't you use them?

As mentioned- your stickup is too long. If you place the welpers on the nozzle with the cutting edge UP you'll have just about the right amount of stickout.

Can't see the Tip to work distance in the video but that makes a difference also.

Incorrect wire tension can also cause your problems- the wire isn't feeding out at the correct rate despite the Wire Speed setting on the machine.

Try those and see if it makes a difference.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Couple things- you have a set of Welpers, why don't you use them?

As mentioned- your stickup is too long. If you place the welpers on the nozzle with the cutting edge UP you'll have just about the right amount of stickout.

Can't see the Tip to work distance in the video but that makes a difference also.

Incorrect wire tension can also cause your problems- the wire isn't feeding out at the correct rate despite the Wire Speed setting on the machine.

Try those and see if it makes a difference.
    I tried changing stickout, I even got so far in that I shorted a tip. Didn't make any discernible difference. Also tried changing the wire tension, but no luck with that either. Trust me I've checked or tried changing just about every possible source of the problem that could be the result of improper set-up. Spent all day Sunday going through what I thought may be wrong plus what everyone on WeldingWeb said to check.

After Miller heard it was overtemping on me they said take it into a service center for inspection, so it's currently sitting at True Arc in Elk Grove. Glad I went with Miller, the ability to take it in somewhere local is nice. I just hope it doesn't get scratched or dinged in the process, otherwise I might just go postal.
    Last edited by kestrel452; 02-11-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    I tried changing stickout, I even got so far in that I shorted a tip. Didn't make any discernible difference. Also tried changing the wire tension, but no luck with that either. Trust me I've checked or tried changing just about every possible source of the problem that could be the result of improper set-up. Spent all day Sunday going through what I thought may be wrong plus what everyone on WeldingWeb said to check.

After Miller heard it was overtemping on me they said take it into a service center for inspection, so it's currently sitting at True Arc in Elk Grove. Glad I went with Miller, the ability to take it in somewhere local is nice. I just hope it doesn't get scratched or dinged in the process, otherwise I might just go postal.
    Ok- bad Rectifier then Miller will definitely fix it and hope yer back at it soon.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Cool

Ok- bad Rectifier then Miller will definitely fix it and hope yer back at it soon.
    That's what the gentleman on the phone from Miller said it might be too. It can't come back soon enough, ever since I left it at True Arc I've been haunted by images of my brand new pretty blue machine getting scratched or dinged during repair

Can't wait to start practicing laying beads for real!

I was thinking wrong polarity, I'm sure checked that though.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Try this, turn off auto set, assuming your using .030 ER 70, 75AR/25co2 , set your voltage to 47-49vac and your wire speed to 49-50 ion, input 220 vac NOT 110vac, and let me know what happens.

Dan
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Thumbs down

I just picked up the machine from True Arc, and to my surprise the technician said the unit was fine. Well, I started using it, and it seemed okay for little bit. But, i started getting the same exact problems even with a brand new flow meter affixed to the gas bottle and 30CFH of C25 flowing. I wasn't even exceeding the duty cycle of the welder, and it kept tripping its internal breaker. I could keep hearing the machine "struggling" every time right before it'd turn itself off. Once or twice after turning the power switch back on after it killed itself I saw the overtemp light flashing, but not every time. I took a video which I'm attempting to upload to YouTube if my iPhone starts cooperating with me, and in it you can see the machine just dies with my gun stuck to the piece because the wire gets melted to the puddle.

I thought maybe Miller was right when I called them that the welder wasn't getting enough voltage, but I read a perfect 120V across each hot leg at the end of the 10 gauge cord i have coming from my 8000W generator. I also checked the electrical continuity from the clamp to just about every point on my 30FX table with my multimeter and it was just fine, and cleaned the welding table surface with a 120 grit flap disc also just to eliminate a dirty work surface as a possible variable.

I'm really displeased thusfar with my experience of owning this MIG welder, but I don't necessarily blame Miller Electric for the problem, they've been adequately helpful up to this point and I don't expect them to just leave me hanging. I love the 625 X-Treme I bought, as well as the Miller helmet and 30FX table I got, it's just this welder that's giving me a tough time. I wish Miller had hours tomorrow so I could call them, my patience is over with this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36iqBNeVbg
    Last edited by kestrel452; 02-14-2014 at 08:57 PM.