Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default setup to weld 18 gage sheetmetal panel

hello everyone, can anyone tell me the set up process I would need on my diversion 180 torch to tig 18 gauge sheet metal panels.

thank you

David

Hi and welcome to the forum David.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlostdog View Post
    hello everyone, can anyone tell me the set up process I would need on my diversion 180 torch to tig 18 gauge sheet metal panels.

thank you

David
    Are we talking about steel? But, overlap, corner?

Default 18 gauge sheetmetal panel

thank you for the quick response.

I am wanting to start to weld on body panels for auto body, butt weld would be it.
    right now I am welding on 1/8th mild steel with a 3/32 gas lens and 3/32 collet and I am getting fair results and starting to really like this diversion 180.

thanks
    David

I thought the diversion had a quick setup right from the front panel? You'll probably want to switch to a 1/16" tungsten though. Straight polarity. And i would guess 40-50 amps, but I haven't run the diversion so I don't know how it welds. Do you have a pedal?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I would choose the tungsten you have, sharpen to a needle point, stay away from pure tungsten. 20 CFH argon. Set heat to where you burn through a scrap piece in 4 seconds, then use your pedal to avoid burn through. You are at a slight disadvantage with TIG in that it gives a larger heat affected zone than MIG. Minimize this by using quick heat, then get off it. A series of tacks alternating across the patch, keep the patch as small as practical. On a jeep you have flat surfaces, when the weld seam shrinks, it leaves the field puckered. Heat shrink these, and hammer and dolly on the seam.

Congratulations you have a great machine for thin steel. If you don't have a pedal, get one.

Default Butt Welding Clamps

You might want to get some of this style clamp.... they are available many places inexpensively... try fleabay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkFhfKcjbQQ

the TIG technique would be similar to what they showed w/MIG...

but much shorter stitches.. skipping around to minimize warpage

Take some time and practice on some scrap until you are confident with the technique...

for amperage... start out @ approx 1amp per thousandth thickness to get into the ballpark and adjust from there..

work that out on your practice pieces NOT on something that matters...

do not expect warp free sheet metal TIG butts overnight... it can take years of diligence to get there... and still require planishing with a hammer and dolly

Practice..practice..practice....
    Last edited by H80N; 02-10-2014 at 06:54 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Keep an air hose handy to cool each tack immediately to minimize warping. It will have little affect on hardening mild steel.

Harbor Freight has them. Use a coupon and save more.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...mps-60545.html