Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help please

Default Help please

Welder: Miller Auto Set 180
    Gas: 75/25
    No flux on wire
    setting is 0.35 wire thickness for 3/16 steel tube.

My experience welding, not a lot.

When I am welding flat surfaces I weld a nice bead (atleast ok).

When I weld a 90 degree corner I cant get the dimes to stack. What am I doing wrong. Each time the weld is bunch up in the center

I have adjusted the gas pressure, feed rate and temp. But the corners all look bunched up in the middle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well coyotebgone as this is your first post welcome to the forum.

Check out this site, info on how to achieve stack of dimes. Also do an advanced search on this forum with the title "stack of dimes".

http://www.profabricationtechniques....g/mig-welding/

Good luck, Ja

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Post up some pictures to better help you.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

it looks cold to me, but no being a 75/25 user, by choice, i will wait for guys with more hood time with that mix to give their enlighted opinion.

Are you pushing or pulling ?

Cool

Welcome. Drop down to .030 wire i think you will like it better...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Yea I only use .030 and .023 in my 180. Your picture looks like you may be running cold, or too much wire. And possibly moving too quickly, which is probably a reasult of one of the first two.

The roughness of the weld bead along the toes (edges) of the weld is generally an indication of to high of a wire speed setting for the voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by coyotebgone View Post
    Welder: Miller Auto Set 180
    Gas: 75/25
    No flux on wire
    setting is 0.35 wire thickness for 3/16 steel tube.

My experience welding, not a lot.

When I am welding flat surfaces I weld a nice bead (atleast ok).

When I weld a 90 degree corner I cant get the dimes to stack. What am I doing wrong. Each time the weld is bunch up in the center

I have adjusted the gas pressure, feed rate and temp. But the corners all look bunched up in the middle.
    With the Miller 180 you should be using .30 wire. If you are not changing settings before you round the corner, good. You are probably moving too fast. That would explain the flat welds on the sides, and the humped up weld on the top. If you are changing the settings-Don't!!! Set your machine based on the thickness of the material and your welding speed. Maintain a consistant puddle.

Looks like you tried welding the "bulging" weld vertical up? If so you need to watch a video or two on welding vertical up mig and then practice doing a bunch of them. I also wouldn't bother trying to get the "stack of dimes" look to your weld as you are welding with mig not tig. Just run straight welds without whipping, the only time you should be manipulating the weld puddle is if you are weaving.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter