Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xmt 304

Quote Originally Posted by lake View Post
    Cruizer, OK, I'm ready to get after this thing. I've removed the small bolts that hold the output board to the blue capacitors, pulled the board away from the capacitors and am now ready to measure the resistance of what to what? You indicated about 18K ohms. Would this be across each of the capacitor terminals ? I tried that and I get a climbing number on my DVM. Sorry to be so blind.
    Thanks,
    Lake
    I said pull the board back a little and with a resistance meter check EACH 2 holes where the caps were mounted. ON each you must get around 18KILO ohms, that 18000 ohms,
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-11-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    I said pull the board back a little and with a resistance meter check EACH 2 holes where the caps were mounted. ON each you must get around 18KILO ohms, that 18000 ohms,
    Mr. Cruizer,
    OK, understood. I measured as you indicated. I read 300K on both pair. Measured with a Simpson analog meter (30x10,000). On my digital VOM reads 292,000 ohms between each pair of holes where the capacitors attach.
    Lake

Well, there ya go, replece them both, thats your help 7, go to Newark.com, and with those numbers, order & replace those resistors

buy yourself one of those small butane soldering torches

Well, there ya go, replece them both, thats your help 7, go to Newark.com, and with those numbers, order & replace those resistors

buy yourself one of those small butane soldering torches
    Cruizer,
    You are referring to resistors r-3 and r-4 correct? R-3 sits just above C-3 ( large blue capacitor bolts) and R-4 is located near the center of the interconnect (vertical) board. Both have 20K printed on their side. They appear to be wire wound ceramics. Am I understanding you correctly? Man if everything in life could be so simple! Thanks,
    Lake

Ok, great now I have to get up and grab a board....Yes R3 and r4, replace those, and all will be happy, or just cure that error code...Now a simple soldering tool will NOT work. Use a solid flame off one of those butane guns and ELECTRICAL solder to reattach. NOT Plumbing solder. Totally different. This will save you around $600 on a new board. You may want to mark the wires when you take them off, up to you. The wires will fall back to where they go on. But I don't want you making any mistakes

Ok, great now I have to get up and grab a board....Yes R3 and r4, replace those, and all will be happy, or just cure that error code...Now a simple soldering tool will NOT work. Use a solid flame off one of those butane guns and ELECTRICAL solder to reattach. NOT Plumbing solder. Totally different. This will save you around $600 on a new board. You may want to mark the wires when you take them off, up to you. The wires will fall back to where they go on. But I don't want you making any mistakes
    Cruizer,
    Thank you, and sorry to disturb your peace and tranquility. I've placed an order with Newark for the resistors. I understand the solder issue. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, hoping this will take care of the problem!
    Lake

I'm a welder tech, I have no peace and tranquity. 12 hrs a day pretty much 7 days a week. I do have a big screen on the wall, and get to sorta watch movies all the time, and answer posts which I enjoy

I'm a welder tech, I have no peace and tranquity. 12 hrs a day pretty much 7 days a week. I do have a big screen on the wall, and get to sorta watch movies all the time, and answer posts which I enjoy
    Good grief, man, don't you have a wife to nag at you and take your money to spend on frivolous things, or complain about the chores she needs done, that you haven't got done yet? And your own big screen to boot? Sounds to me like you have a 24 hour a day man cave heaven on earth! I'm envious! Or maybe you just have an understanding woman!
    Lake