Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default breathing slots in welding helmets?

Hey everyone, I'm 17 currently. I tried to look this up on the forum if I missed a certain thread covering this issue I truly apologize. I'm new to this forum so in still on a learning curve, but any ways. I work in a welding shop doing welding and fit up from just stuff on a welding table to overhead welding and some outside welding. We run mainly solid and flux cored mig and stick welding. In the shop we all use a fairly standard run of mill 2x4 flip front welding helmets. I am currently use a cheap 15-20 dollar helmet with a arc one tradesmen auto darkening lens. Now I've seen photos of just a few folks with slots cut into the front of the welding helmet near the mouth of the welder. We use the flip front clear lens for grinding, we wear safety glasses under this as well. When grinding my safety classes fog up. I was wondering if cutting 4 or 5 slits in the front of helmet so my breath could escape would prevent fogging also would this be safe still or would it defeat the purpose of it? Also I was going to cut the good down so it doesn't hit my neck and hang a chunk of scrap leather over it to make up for. Are they any safety issues with these mods? And would these slots in the helmet be effective for stopping or preventing fogging? Any pictures of anyone who has done these to their helmet would be great! Thanks in advance.

Add Content

I would not cut slots in the front of a helmet. This would let uv rays in, let sparks, slag & smoke in also. As far as trimming the bottom of the helmet it is common but as you said a pc. of leather should be hung to keep out all the above items.

You can try finding some anti-fog spray for your glasses, that might help.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopee96 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm 17 currently. I tried to look this up on the forum if I missed a certain thread covering this issue I truly apologize. I'm new to this forum so in still on a learning curve, but any ways. I work in a welding shop doing welding and fit up from just stuff on a welding table to overhead welding and some outside welding. We run mainly solid and flux cored mig and stick welding. In the shop we all use a fairly standard run of mill 2x4 flip front welding helmets. I am currently use a cheap 15-20 dollar helmet with a arc one tradesmen auto darkening lens. Now I've seen photos of just a few folks with slots cut into the front of the welding helmet near the mouth of the welder. We use the flip front clear lens for grinding, we wear safety glasses under this as well. When grinding my safety classes fog up. I was wondering if cutting 4 or 5 slits in the front of helmet so my breath could escape would prevent fogging also would this be safe still or would it defeat the purpose of it? Also I was going to cut the good down so it doesn't hit my neck and hang a chunk of scrap leather over it to make up for. Are they any safety issues with these mods? And would these slots in the helmet be effective for stopping or preventing fogging? Any pictures of anyone who has done these to their helmet would be great! Thanks in advance.

Try "FOG X". It is made by the company that makes RAIN X. Most major auto parts stores will have it on hand.

Griff

Okay thanks guys! I didn't really think cutting slots would be the safest idea. I'll try an anti-fog product first. But for cuffing the lid down and adding leather to it, what's the best way to attach said leather to said helmet? @brownbag on my app for my phone your post just says "add content" so I'm not sure of it's a photo I can't access or what.

Be very careful in that shop as you are not a legal employee. No one under 18 is allowed to be employed using power tools.
    Just use pop rivets to attach the bib to your hood. I believe there is a commercial version that uses snaps. If your headset allows, try to adjust the lens a little farther from your face.

Okay thanks walker, I think I'll look into some kind of snaps so I could change out the leather. Having to be 18 to use power tools does not sound right. I'm in R.A.P which is a high school apprenticeship program so I can work in the shop instead of as much school. But any ways the school has to come out and check if it's safe and the shop safety person hasn't Said anything. I'm working in alberta Canada if that changes anything.but I'll still be careful just in case.

I've never heard of having to be 18 here in the states. Regardless use the fog x cutting slits or moding a hood is not a great idea in my opinion.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Quote Originally Posted by strictlycarved View Post
    I've never heard of having to be 18 here in the states. .

It's been that way in general for years in the U.S. but there are exemptions, they can be fairly complicated.
    State to state rules vary as well and are different than federal rules a lot of the time.

Federally recognized apprenticeships and vocational ed have exemptions but there a a lot of limits involved. There are some flat out banned tools (and workplaces) for minors and then there are tools they can use a little and then there are fed rules on who it all applies to based on gross income and other stuff.

You gotta wade thru a lot to figure it all out. At least it was that way a few years ago and I doubt any federal set of regs has lightened up any lately.

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

FED MINIMUM regulations.
    Both Federal and State laws govern the employment of young workers and when both are applicable, the law with the stricter standard must be obeyed.
    The Federal youth employment provisions do not:
    require minors to obtain "working papers" or "work permits," though many States do;
    restrict the number of hours or times of day that workers 16 years of age and older may be employed, though many States do;
    apply where no FLSA employment relationship exists;
    regulate or require such things as breaks, meal periods, or fringe benefits;
    regulate such issues as discrimination, harassment, verbal or physical abuse, or morality, though other Federal and State laws may.

*** The regulations provide a limited exemption from HOs 5, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 17 for apprentices and student-learners who are at least 16 years of age and enrolled in approved programs.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs43.htm
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus