Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Big 20 Welder with low output

My welder only works best in the highest setting. The lower settings will spark but not start or weld. I checked the machine and found the wire on the alternator was broker from the bold down. I fixed the wire and the AC plug works now. I checked the diodes both with the machine off and running I get polarity one way only when the machine is off and I get out put on them when the machine is running. I did clean the adjustment selector and changed the fine adjustment variable resistor. Still very low welding performance.
    I did read about flashing the machine and I wasn't sure on the momentary touch of a 12 v source to the alternator field wire. If anyone has a better description on this procedure I would love to hear about it.

Thanks Rod

Your field alternator is blown

Default I checked the output on the alternator and it is putting out 15.1 volts.

I did look at the back of the alternator and momentairly touched the plus 12 to the field lead on the back of the alternator. Small spark occured and then I tested the welder and it is working now.

Yeah, the big 20's have kinda a wierd setup, but it works so now you know HOW it works....