Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default pictures of a small alum job today

I made a shelf today for a alum rolling kitchen cart the old one rotted out and broke . I used a 135 mm that i rigged up to put a 100 spool gun on it its undersized but its what i have . I used 1/8 inch plate and 1/4 angle to use stainles bolts it was riveted , 4043 .30 wire . I don,t weld every day but love it when i do . I just got that makita gringer it adjustable it's pretty nice .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 11.jpg (73.1 KB, 234 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (47.0 KB, 199 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (50.3 KB, 191 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (45.4 KB, 212 views)

more pictures
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (49.4 KB, 122 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (62.4 KB, 110 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (51.4 KB, 101 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (47.4 KB, 117 views)

some more pictures
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (46.5 KB, 100 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (71.7 KB, 99 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.7 KB, 123 views)

That wont last. Bet I could tear it apart with my bare hands.

I don't know I didn't twist on it. Does the machine not get hot enough for a small job I'm just tring to learn that's all I have or white rods for a arc welder.
    I've got some scrap I'll do a piece the same way and pull on it and with a stick .
    Last edited by Kpack; 02-13-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Those welds surely look like they were done to cold. Did you have the machine maxed out when you ran them? If so then I'd have to say your power source is under sized for that kind of work.

Also it kind of looks to me like you "pulled" those welds. Have you tried pushing the puddle?
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Yes I pushed them and I had the machine maxed out. I did not preheat the metal I'll see if that helps sometime when I'm not to busy or get a small job.

Kpack,

Well then if that's the case I'd have to say that your power source is just to under sized for that kind of aluminum work and you probably never will get really good welds with it. You can try a little preheating (couldn't hurt) but I wouldn't be to optimistic it's going to improve things much.

I've been running that "Super Glaze" 4043 .030 in my spool gun and usually get what I think are some pretty decent welds. But, I'm powering mine off of an XMT304 CC/CV power source.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

I think you done good with what you had to work with.

Yeah it's cold but it'll probably hold for what it is. When you can upgrade to more power, you won't believe how nice it is.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Thanks shortarc I put it on here for opinions good or bad I know its undersized but I'm just doing what I can . Those white rods for arc weld are really hard to use .
    I went back on the scrap pieces this morning and tested . I could not pull it loose by hand with just the underneath welded but with plate clamped and visegrips on the angle I broke it loose but bent the angle just a little where the visegrips were before it broke . That was just the underside welded not the top part to so I think they will be able to store stuff on it.