Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Power outage due to ice?

How did the ice storm affect you?

I was very lucky and was only out from
    6:20 AM Wed Feb 5 until 1:30 PM Friday Feb 7.

Used my 7000 watt generator to power me and 2 neighbors.
    Loaned the spare 5000 watt one to another neighbor who was able to run his neighbor also.

Now that I have power, I'm loaning my 2 generators around to those who still don't have power.
    They in turn asked if they could also loan them to others who are still out.
    Hope I get them back but if not at least someone has power.

Funny thing is that I was more upset since I couldn't use the Dynasty 350.

Had to make do with the Oxy-fuel set-up to fix things for the neighbors.
    Also got to use the propane weed burner to (slowly) thaw some frozen pipes.
    Worked well with no leaks and I got free beer so there is always a silver lining.

Hope everyone is safe.
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Thumbs up there are still good people

Ill take you as neighborg anytime . No freezing rain or ice here and not complaining.

How were you heating your house during outage?

Good job, stay warm and.... not too mucch beer

I'm way down in NM but it was still zero degrees when I got up yesterday. Our high for the day was fourteen and I thought that was bad. I'm nit a fan of the cold and get disgusted with the cold we get here, idk what I would do anywhere up north.

We got lucky and nothing froze, but my next door neighbor's water pipes froze but didn't not bust. A space heater in his well house for a few hours did the trick.

I sure do pity y'all up north!

Default Don't try this at home but..................I had to

Last year we had a power outage and I had already connected my
    neighbor's 2 extension cords to the 2 existing 120 volt receptacles on my generator.
    I needed to rig up something quickly as my sump pump was out and the basement water was rising. Had to connect to the 230 volt twist-lock receptacle.
    Did this very scary set-up in 10 minutes for me only and got the pump running.
    Immediately went to the hardware store and got the proper wire, connectors and box.

Here is generator during the ice storm with the corrections made.

Many thanks to the hard working utility crews who don't get the recognition that they should.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Whats scary about splitting 220v into two 110v outlets ?
    Im no electrician just wondering.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw