Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Introduction and Miller PipePro 450

Hello All,

Been reading in the forums for around 3 weeks now. Had a little problem getting registered to use the forums but that seems to have been corrected.

A while back my employer got a deal on 2 used Miller PipePro 450 RFC machines. They were in kind of rough shape and they sat around for a while unused. And a lot of that had to do with the fact that no one else in the company really had any wire welding experience of any kind.

I got them back in a good use able condition and have been using them extensively for building structural items. I've been involved with various semi automatic wire welding processes (and equipment) since 1981 and these two machines are by far the sweetest welding units I've ever had the opportunity to use.

I'm in the process of trying to work out and qualify a WPS (in accordance with Section IX) so that this can be used for fabricating piping sub assemblies in the shop (which the company currently does a lot of with SMAW).

Any way I thought it might be useful to try and get a discussion going on the forums about the use of this new generation of wire welding machines from Miller including the PipePro and PipeWorx systems and the RMD and ProPulse modes they both utilize.

Has any one here got to play with one of these new systems yet?

Stay safe.

Welcome to the forum 4956.

Thanks MJ,

So far it's not looking like any one here has got the opportunity yet to play with these new waveform controlled power sources. I've checked a few other welding related discussion forums and haven't found any talk of them there either.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Default Introduction and Miller PipePro 450

I have been training welders to use these powersources for a few years now. Not many other machines around North Bay Area of California. You are absolutely correct, great arc characteristics and the advanced wire procedures work for many applications other than pipe. Let us know if you get some procedure qualified, I will train techs to perform them.

Quote Originally Posted by benweldingawhile View Post
    I have been training welders to use these powersources for a few years now. Not many other machines around North Bay Area of California. You are absolutely correct, great arc characteristics and the advanced wire procedures work for many applications other than pipe. Let us know if you get some procedure qualified, I will train techs to perform them.
    Ran a vertical and horizontal 6" x 3/8" test plate this morning with .045 Hobart FabCor 86R (metal core). 90/10 Gas

35 degree bevel
    1/8 root opening
    1/16 land

Vertical plate....
    Root down hill in RMD mode. WFS: 180, Trim: 50, AC: 25
    Fill and Cap up hill in ProPulse mode. WFS: 140, Trim: 50, AC: 21
    3 passes total

Horizontal plate.....
    Root pulled in RMD mode. WFS: 110, Trim: 50, AC: 23
    Fill and Cap pushed in ProPulse mode. WFS: 140, Trim: 50, AC: 21
    6 passes total

Bent two transverse face and one root coupon from each plate. All passed. Exceptionally clean.

Since this is my first time attempting this with metal core you might say I'm pretty tickled with myself. Got to give some credit to Dave Benson (an application engineer) at Hobart for a phone conversation and a couple of emails that gave me some good tips and got me in the ball park.

Metal Core Test Plates 006.jpg

This is the root in a piece of 8" sch. 40 in the 6G position.

It was done with .035 ER70S-6 hard wire.
    90/10 gas.
    Down hill in RMD mode.
    WFS: 245
    Trim: 52
    AC: 25

1/8 root opening
    1/16 land

wire quals 006.jpg