Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
    Can someone explain what technique is used to produce this look on a TIG weld? I have been tig welding for 20+ years (mostly stainless and aluminum). But, I have never had a cause to tig mild steel much. Is it a special filler rod? Is it a helium/argon mix shielding gas?

I really like these welds from an aesthetic point of view.
    I can explain it. The guy is bad a** with a torch. Tig is my thing. I can weld any of the processes-but I live for tig! Those welds are awesome. I enlarged them and still can't find any start-stop points. Awesome! Looks like stainless filler on carbon. Hats off to whoever laid those beads!

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    pretty easy to achieve that even spacing with "Pulsed TIG" using a machine like a Dynasty with built in pulsing capability... lots of machines out there these days that can pulse.... getting pretty common.. sure beats pumping the pedal..,,,,,
    You shouldn't be pumping the pedal while tig welding! Those welds are achievable with standard tig welding techniques and a skilled operator, just being very consistent.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

What about the possibility that it was done robotically with TIG and a cold wire feeder?
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

The guy is ZT FAB & it's all mig, no pulse.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jrscgsr View Post
    You shouldn't be pumping the pedal while tig welding! Those welds are achievable with standard tig welding techniques and a skilled operator, just being very consistent.
    Well................

I would not go quite that far...

Some guys prefer to pump the pedal...

John Marcella is one of them... and he seems to get by..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ng-Dynasty-350

I would rather think that the correctness of technique is more determined by the results than anything else....
    Last edited by H80N; 02-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
    You are right... the guy has exceptional MIG skills.. (I had to look it up)

here is a link to that thread over on WW

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...-Mig-like-Tig&
    Last edited by H80N; 02-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
    It sure looks like his work. There's a 35 page "MIG like TIG" thread at weldingweb.com with other examples of his work.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

He is on instagram. Ryancookfabricatiions on ig ain't so bad either. I guess I was right on my first instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodhand View Post
    Where did you get the photo?
    it's a tig weld. I can't tell from the pic if it's mild steel or SS. I would guess mild steel. From the color the metal has turned it seems like small pieces of SS would have warped and buckled a little. I see no signs of that from the pics.
    I can do similar welds on 1/4" SS with a 316 filler. I only have a scratch start set up though.
    SelfTaught

Quote Originally Posted by SelfTaught View Post
    it's a tig weld. I can't tell from the pic if it's mild steel or SS. I would guess mild steel. From the color the metal has turned it seems like small pieces of SS would have warped and buckled a little. I see no signs of that from the pics.
    I can do similar welds on 1/4" SS with a 316 filler. I only have a scratch start set up though.
    SelfTaught
    Guess I should have finished reading the thread before I commented.
    Awesome mig technique!