Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Extremely clean looking TIG welds???? Picture

Can someone explain what technique is used to produce this look on a TIG weld? I have been tig welding for 20+ years (mostly stainless and aluminum). But, I have never had a cause to tig mild steel much. Is it a special filler rod? Is it a helium/argon mix shielding gas?

I really like these welds from an aesthetic point of view.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like MIG to me.....with a good setup....
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
    Can someone explain what technique is used to produce this look on a TIG weld? I have been tig welding for 20+ years (mostly stainless and aluminum). But, I have never had a cause to tig mild steel much. Is it a special filler rod? Is it a helium/argon mix shielding gas?

Who's are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyWelder View Post

Those are TIG welds. The "Stack of Dimes". It has been discussed on this and other forums many times in the past, do a search.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Cool

Who's are they?
    Looks like Mike Jones Welding by the jpeg name...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Smile

You could be right...

I have seen pulsed MIG with a good operator that looked like stacked dimes TIG....

Could be either...

Does look like stainless steel though..from the colors in the pic..

and from the way the color of the HAZ looks and the beginning and end of the beads

am going to guess TIG...

Small pic.. tough to tell.......
    Last edited by H80N; 02-05-2014 at 07:33 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

It is most definitely tig, the technique is to dab filler and move forward and repeat, pretty straightforward. It's tough to say whether the parts are mild steel or stainless. The gold color on the bead means the shielding gas got great coverage and the weld wasn't too hot.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Quote Originally Posted by jrscgsr View Post
    It is most definitely tig, the technique is to dab filler and move forward and repeat, pretty straightforward. It's tough to say whether the parts are mild steel or stainless. The gold color on the bead means the shielding gas got great coverage and the weld wasn't too hot.
    I agree, It's definitely TIG welded and I'm 99% sure it's mild steel base metal. I'm just not too sure about the filler metal. I frequently weld mild steel pieces with stainless filler because there is far less spitting and porosity when my foot gets too heavy.

I'm thinking it's more than just dabbing the filler. I think it may require throttling back on the pedal for ea. "dime". I can dab perfectly in aluminum and stainless but never had much success with mild steel. I've never had luck making welds near this clean.

I agree, It's definitely TIG welded and I'm 99% sure it's mild steel base metal. I'm just not too sure about the filler metal. I frequently weld mild steel pieces with stainless filler because there is far less spitting and porosity when my foot gets too heavy.

I'm thinking it's more than just dabbing the filler. I think it may require throttling back on the pedal for ea. "dime". I can dab perfectly in aluminum and stainless but never had much success with mild steel. I've never had luck making welds near this clean.
    pretty easy to achieve that even spacing with "Pulsed TIG" using a machine like a Dynasty with built in pulsing capability... lots of machines out there these days that can pulse.... getting pretty common.. sure beats pumping the pedal..,,,,,
    Last edited by H80N; 02-06-2014 at 09:19 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Where did you get the photo?