Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Are All Feeders Created Equal?

Ok so i got into a conversation about wire feeders with my sells rep./ repair man from Airgas. He claims that "A feeder is a feeder, it just feeds wire" I disagree. Just wonder if anyone else has an opinion on this.

He's right a feeder is just a feeder, some have more problems than others like the ESAB cc/cv has alot of problems. But the others are vitually the same

Now while i do agree they all have a common goal of feeding wire, I cant believe that if you hook up say a S22A feeder to an invision 352 mpa that you would get the same quality results in the welds as if you would with the mpa plus feeder.

Well, yeah, the difference would be that the mpa feeder can handle pulse, and has alot of do dads that no one really uses. If I didn't need the pulse, post and preflows, run in, burnback ( both of the latter are useless to most guys, maybe a robot) as well as another bunch of features in the hidden menus. I would definately use a S-22. Hech I would use a S-52, the cheapest and most reliable and repairable feeder on the market.

I use the MPA feeder using pulse and short arc on the dual schedule welding alot of automotive type parts. Works well for me.

Feeder is a feeder, the doo dads just make adjustability, and repeat ability easier. I like the DRO, and purge and jog features as well

I'm finding this thread useful as I'm about to buy a new feeder. Sounds like I don't need all the doodads I was looking at.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove