Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

motorhead Guest

Question Welding Project Challenge Disapointment

Sure was disapointed with the results of the top 3 projects. I thought this was going to be something to challenge people, not begining welding 101. I am not trying to take away from the guys that won, but come on its suppose to be something with a little more welded parts on it.
    I liked some of the top 10 projects a lot better. The English wheel, Tubing bender, even the Rack. Something you can sink your teeth into. Even for a beginner like me it would be something to be proud of, and worth the Awards that Miller gave out.

What are your thoughts?

Default Welding Project Challenge Disapointment

Yes, I was a bit disapointed too but, as I found out when I first started reading the questions posted here, it became very obvious this is a message board for amateurs. So, it makes sense that the judges looked for projects that were "easy to build" and "almost anyone could build". I agree, most of the honourable mention projects were of greater interest to me too.

I don't log on to this site much anymore or respond to questions because it is not at the level I'm working at. It's great for people that are starting out or don't have many resources available to them to get information. They just need to keep in mind that not everyone who offers advise knows what they are talking about. I hope this message board continues and improves!

My local Wal Mart has the same rack to hold their air tools but the other way around so the tools are stored upright.

Charles

I was also a little disappointed in the projects challenge. I was under the impression they were looking for some "new" welding ideas, not plans that have been floating around the net for awhile now. I have most of those plans already bookmarked in my favorites!I didn't think we could just take someone else's ideas and call them our own. I'm also a little bitter because I too came up with an air tool rack idea. Except mine doesn't take 20 dollars in brass couplers to build, its all scrap bed frame, its original, you can oil your tools while being stored and its portable, plus its my own design

english wheel - http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tec.../12ewheel.html

backhoe - http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/backhoe/backhoe.html

bending brake -http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/press-brake-plans.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it would be great if they set up a file with all the applicants projects. I'm sure we could all benefit from sharing the ideas submitted.
    I bought a MM135 and had completed the first manditory project....built a cart for it (my first attempt at wirefeed). I saw the Miller challenge and put together a workstation/trolley for a upright smoker my wife had bought me. It turned out pretty good for an old puddler.
    I didn't know what to expect as this was the first time I submitted a project for a contest. I'll do it again if Miller decides to put another one on.
    Disappointed? Sure....I don't like to lose! But, I'll keep bending scrolls and putting together projects that fit my needs.

I am positive it was a difficult process for Miller and I applaud their efforts.

JJ

Default me too!

I'm disapointed! very disapointed that I didn't get one of them nice Millermatic 210's....My wife told me that she thinks I would have stood a better chance getting one if I had intered the contest..she's probably right..she usually is *LOL* I'm just happy to see someone get them. I personally think all the projects That I looked at were great..I too wish Miller would make it so we could see all of them..that would be nice. Maybe Miller will do this again and let us forum members vote. I think that's real nice of Miller to give welders away..that tells you a lot about what a good company they are (in my opinion).
    Regards, Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

I agree they were a bit on the simple side of things.

I have found that I really enjoy the ideas I get from www.offroadfabnet.com There are some serious projects on the go there all the time as well as simple things that make life easier as well. I still check here every once and a while but not too often.

I wish they would offer the give-a-ways in Canada as well as in the US. There are a lot of blue machines up here too.

When I saw the results of the contest, I too was disappointed in several ways. First, alot of the projects did not fit the criteria that Miller asked for. When I went back to look at Millers terms you could not see them anymore. Second, the cost of the projects were on the non-frugal side or were on the specialty end, something you rarely use. Last, this part made me sick, was the fact that these were not original ideas. It's like the kid that plagiarize their term paper and screw up the curve for everyone else. I also was curious who the panel of judges were. At first I felt like I was blowing this thing out of proportion, but being in the welding field I take great pride in my work and ideas and to see a quack take credit for someone elses work really steamed me. What kind of example are we leading to the younger welders on this site? Anyway I applaud and congratulate all the others who took the time and effort to enter individually thought ideas.

Default English Wheel Plans

The frame has never been a problem. It is the wheels that were giving me fits. All the ones from catalog were too big for what I wanted to do. Thank you so much for this alternative. This will work great on aluminum fairings for my homebuilt project. The welding looks like a snap to do and the parts numbers are so helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jarto017 View Post
    I was also a little disappointed in the projects challenge. I was under the impression they were looking for some "new" welding ideas, not plans that have been floating around the net for awhile now. I have most of those plans already bookmarked in my favorites!I didn't think we could just take someone else's ideas and call them our own. I'm also a little bitter because I too came up with an air tool rack idea. Except mine doesn't take 20 dollars in brass couplers to build, its all scrap bed frame, its original, you can oil your tools while being stored and its portable, plus its my own design

english wheel - http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tec.../12ewheel.html

backhoe - http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/backhoe/backhoe.html

bending brake -http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/press-brake-plans.html

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead
    Sure was disapointed with the results of the top 3 projects. I thought this was going to be something to challenge people, not begining welding 101. I am not trying to take away from the guys that won, but come on its suppose to be something with a little more welded parts on it.
    I liked some of the top 10 projects a lot better. The English wheel, Tubing bender, even the Rack. Something you can sink your teeth into. Even for a beginner like me it would be something to be proud of, and worth the Awards that Miller gave out.

What are your thoughts?
    Yep! I agree. All were very fine and it would be difficult to choose between any of the top ten. There were some very fine projects submitted that exhibited not only fine welding skills but demonstrate outstanding design and engineering skills that in my estimation should have been in the top three..