Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default bubble in weld leave pin holes

I am welding an aluminum (6061) part that is 8.75 long. I start with a tack weld at the ends on material that is 1"x.5"thick and then weld the center which is .050 thick. In the ..050 thick welding I have no problems ( I am purging the back with 100% burn through), however, when I butt weld the ends which are thicker (1 x .50) I see gas bubbles starting to escape. I try to slow down to let the bubbles dissipate but when the material is cleaned up the pin holes are still there. The material is being welded with 4043 rod the ends call out an .125 bevel , it is immaculately clean (it is cleaned with acid etch and stainless wire wheeled. The weld is not dirty it welds clean but no one seems to know why the pin holes keep forming or why the gas bubbles form.

The machine is a Miller 350 Lx with 10 PPS and 2% thoriated tungsten is 3/32 with a glass lens.

CAM00024 (2).jpgCAM00025 (2).jpgCAM00026 (2).jpg

You might try using 4943 filler

it seems to be a bit more fluid and is really good on 6061

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Casting-repair

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Sounds like the joint is sealing, then as you are almost completing it there is pressure created by the expanding gas and it is contaminating your weld from inside the joint.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Smile

Here is a MILLER video on the subject of "Aluminum Porosity"

it's Causes and how to avoid/minimize it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu3BtdERmFM

By Tony Anderson, Head of Aluminum Technology Miller/ITW

Here is the updated literature he referred to

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/downlo...minumGuide.pdf

Porosity starts on page 24 of the flyer (page 26 of the pdf)

Last edited by H80N; 02-03-2014 at 03:38 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Welcome to the forum Artfusionwelder.