Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Wiring a new home workshop

I love how people say , we don't have building code. Even square inch of United States has building code, some are just not enforced due to budget. Like one guy said, let something happen and watch what the lawyers do to you.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
    I love how people say , we don't have building code. Even square inch of United States has building code, some are just not enforced due to budget. Like one guy said, let something happen and watch what the lawyers do to you.
    No code what so ever exists in most West Virginia counties. It's not that there is a code but laxed enforcement. There is simply no code to be enforced,no ale or ordinance requiring standards must be met,no office of inspectors, in fact no inspectors at all. No inspections' no certificates of occupancy, and not a soul to call if you just want to do it right and could use assistance, and if we tried to get any of that good stuff listed avove it would be voted down faster than the ballot could be counted. You would be suprised how strongly people will cling to a very bad system.

And where I'm at in Ky, new construction only gets inspection... I've had a inspector tell me that.

To the OP, you can run a 12 wire for a 211 on a 50A breaker.

Once you sizes the wire to 8 might as well put a 50 on it for use with any 50A class machine. The 211 as with any machine comes with that plug is designed to work on circuits to 50A
    Last edited by Sberry; 02-07-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Default Wiring a new home workshop

While reading this discussion it occurred to me that when replacing the power cord plug on my MillerMatic 130 after a car parked on it a few months ago, I just simply replaced the plug without paying any attention to polarity of the wires.
    I do not use this welder often and it seems to have been acting difficult the last few times I welded with it.
    Question is: does it matter which wire goes to which plug blade and if so , how do I determine which wire goes where.
    I hope this is not too far off topic but as this is somewhat related I do not want to start a new thread.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Default No, polarity is not an issue

You may notice that when power comes into your home both hot lines are black. When your breaker box split the 240 power in into two 120 volt lines of breaker positions each side got one of the lines plus the common neutral line, with no regard as to polarity, when each circuit gets down to the receptacle there will just be three wires available. The ground can only go to the ground screw but as to the other two, either wire to either side, makes no difference.

This is about the comment on using a 12 ga, wire in a 50 amp service, or using a 12 ga extension cord for a 30 amp drawing piece of equipment. Here's my comment - what a very bad thing that is to do. It's not silly, it's just plain dumb, and I really don't give a rat's patoot what the Owner's Manual says,it's just plain wrong. And I'm not talking about power losses in the line or its length. Nope, what I mean is that a 12 ga extension cord should not be used to take power to any device that has a power draw of 20 amps or anything even close to that much.

Quote Originally Posted by dkennett View Post
    While reading this discussion it occurred to me that when replacing the power cord plug on my MillerMatic 130 after a car parked on it a few months ago, I just simply replaced the plug without paying any attention to polarity of the wires.
    I do not use this welder often and it seems to have been acting difficult the last few times I welded with it.
    Question is: does it matter which wire goes to which plug blade and if so , how do I determine which wire goes where.
    I hope this is not too far off topic but as this is somewhat related I do not want to start a new thread.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    YES! IT DOES MATTER on 120v machines like your MM130. It is a safety issue.

The machine really doesn't care though and it shouldn't be causing a problem.

On 120v the white wire terminates on the Silver screw and the Black wire terminates on the Brass screw in the connector.

You can google the "whys" Polarized plug will get you there.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus