Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wiring home Syncrowave 250 the right way..... have some ????

Just moved to a new house. We have 200Amp service and I wanted to finally hook my Syncrowave 250 up properly in the garage. Just replaced its main board and heard some horror stories of boards going bad because of inadequate power supply.

The manual stated that it requires ~94amp at full tilt and requires a max of 125amp breaker with 4 gauge wire. with 6 gauge ground

So im installing a dedicated 100amp breaker in the box just for the welder which is about 25' from the breaker box.

I currently have:

100Amp Murry breaker
    60' 4 gauge
    30' 6 gauge
    30' 1" conduit

Im worried about the plug though. I plug my LWS gave me for my sync 250 is only rated @ 50Amps.

I've looked at my LWS and home depot and all they sell are 30/50amp female plugs for 220V. Im afraid that the plug will be my weak link and may over heat eventually. Does anyone sell 100-125 Amp rated plugs?

Also in regards to the ground do I hook the #6 to the ground in the panel or directly to the ground rod the panel is attached to?

-Nick

Those machines are usually hardwired in to a Line Disconnect type of box- so no plug.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I think that is is the general code requirement, that hard wired equipment have an external disconnect, which could be a breaker or other disconnect, near the machine. Probably it is cheaper to install a small box with a breaker. This might be called an emergency disconnect.

Plugs over 50 amps are generally prohibitively expensive.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Those machines are usually hardwired in to a Line Disconnect type of box- so no plug.

I run my syncro 250 with a 50 amp plug. Never had an issue. 100 amp plugs are very expensive. If you are worried then wire it direct.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I run my syncro 250 with a 50 amp plug. Never had an issue. 100 amp plugs are very expensive. If you are worried then wire it direct.
    +1....

I have seen MANY Sync's and similar amp draw machines set up with 6-50 plugs
    and never heard of any problems...
    I know it is not code but it is common practice...
    Last edited by H80N; 02-04-2014 at 04:00 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Ok I guess i'll just run it as is with the 6-50A plug I have....

Thanks Guys!!!

Any word on the grounding directly at the panel or the grounding rod? I assume both are the same... but would just like some reassurance.

I don't see what good doing a home run for the ground all the way to the rod would do. Unless your grounding rod's wire is too small (based on local codes). If everything seems fine I would just wire it to the grounding bus and see if you have any problems.

Its grounded thru the wire to the panel.

Default Polarity Question

Reading this thread, it occurred to me that when replacing the power cord plug on my MillerMatic 130 a few months ago I failed to pay any attention to polarity when attaching the new plug.
    I don't use this welder very often but it has seemed erratic during the brief times I have used it lately.
    Question is, does it matter which power cord wire goes to which position of the plug and if so how do I now determine which wire goes where?
    I realize this is somewhat off topic, but it doesn't seem to justify beginning a new thread
    Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dkennett View Post
    Reading this thread, it occurred to me that when replacing the power cord plug on my MillerMatic 130 a few months ago I failed to pay any attention to polarity when attaching the new plug.
    I don't use this welder very often but it has seemed erratic during the brief times I have used it lately.
    Question is, does it matter which power cord wire goes to which position of the plug and if so how do I now determine which wire goes where?
    I realize this is somewhat off topic, but it doesn't seem to justify beginning a new thread
    Any help would be appreciated.
    On a 130, its silver to the white and bronze to the black cause your running to the 120 VAc. Still work the other way but you;ll bypass and circuit protection, and that might be bad.
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-08-2014 at 04:01 PM.