Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default big blue air pak

i guess i could go through the manual, or call miller on this. does anyone know if there is anywhere in the air system on a big blue air compressor to put in any air line antifreeze? in cold weather i have to run the machine pretty warm to get air out of it. in real cold weather i cant seem to get any out. sometimes the pressure runs up and pops off the relief. after it warms up the pressure will run up and stay there but i cant get any out the pipe. didnt know if there was a line i could crack to get a little alcoholl into?

Sorry, its a closed system

Thx cruizer. That's kind of what I was thinking. Also didn't want to damage anything with alky. Any ideas against freeze up? Or is that the nature of the beast. What do people do in extreme cold? Maybe run it warm and put a small heater in the machine somewhere? Or a heat tape around some lines?

I have an old backhoe with air brakes and no alcohol evaporator that I use for snow removal. The first winter I had it the brake air lines would freeze every time the temperature went below freezing. There is a takeoff line on the top of the air receiver where I installed a tee and a ball valve though which I can put alcohol into the receiver. In cold weather every time I'm done with it I blow down the air receiver then close the drain and inject 20 cc of alcohol into the receiver. I haven't had a brake freeze-up since I started doing this. I use a 20 cc syringe with a stomach tube that I bent to reach in over the receiver to inject the alcohol. Don't know if you could do this or if it would help your situation. Also don't know what it might do to any warranty. Be aware that your air will have alcohol in it. ---Meltedmetal

thanks for the replies. like I said normally when its cold like 20-30 degrees all I need to do is run the machine for 15 or 20 minutes and usually no problem. but its been about 0 degrees out for a while and had a problem last week. the compressor fired but couldn't get any air out of the system. I turned it off, let the air bleed down, tried again but the clutch wouldn't click on. a few days later on a 30 degree day it was fine. im assuming the pressure switch was frozen. I guess ill have to deal with it. also thinking more about it maybe alcohol around cutting and welding wouldn't be a great idea

Really a little 150 watt pan heater will work nicely mounted on the tank

thanks guys, its not very often I run into this problem, its usually not this cold for so long. so ill have to deal with it. I think ill have to plan ahead if need be. like you say cruizer, a small heater run off the machine for a little while should do it for me. chris

Default your rig

Chris post a few pics of your rig like to see it.Also what part of mass u in.I,m out of stoneham.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Default pics

heres a pic for ya.ill try to get more. a lot of my files are to big to upload. im from feeding hills ma. just west of springfield
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default a few more pics

heres a few more for ya
    Attached Images Attached Images