Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question looking to buy a used 130xp

Sometime in the next year or two or five I am planning on replacing some sheet metal on my classic car (1967 El Camino). I've been watching craigslist and came across a good deal. What are some things to check for when buying a used welder? Did all the 130s come ready to hook up to gas? After some searching it seems like there are / were issues with the drive rollers. Is that an easy fix?

Thank you

This page from the 2001 catalog says it includes the gas solenoid and as of Feb 2001 the regulator and gas hose so I suppose the only one that knows for sure would be the original owner.
    Scan0004.jpg

Look for signs of abuse. Make sure the sheath of mig gun is in good shape, look for tight lugs for the ground clamp and gun lead. Inquire about what the PO used it for and have them estimate how much wire they ran through it. It will likely be completely off but it gives you an idea of how it was treated. I would definitely strike and arc and see how it runs. Do the knobs work to adjust wfs and voltage?

I would also consider a mm140 if you can find one for a good used price. Also, I think the drive rollers are on back order right now but miller is working on getting them back into production and probably will by the time that you purchase your welder.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Look at buying somthing else, no parts available for this one

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Look at buying somthing else, no parts available for this one
    Oh that is good to know. Thank you.

according to this thread- http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-MM130XP/page2

Miller states part is now available.

The XP is a breakdown waiting to happen, handy for a small boat anchor though

A Lincoln 125, and above is something to look at too