Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default What water cooler for a Miller 250 DX?

I have a Miller 250 DX and it isn't water cooled. I would love to have a water cooled torch for this machine. It just gets a little to hot for air cooled stuff. It wouldn't be near as hard on parts either. If it matters my serial number is... LC269565. So where to start? So what water cooler, torch, and so on do you recommend? I would rather to have it a little over kill then not have enough.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by skipnay View Post
    I have a Miller 250 DX and it isn't water cooled. I would love to have a water cooled torch for this machine. It just gets a little to hot for air cooled stuff. It wouldn't be near as hard on parts either. If it matters my serial number is... LC269565. So where to start? So what water cooler, torch, and so on do you recommend? I would rather to have it a little over kill then not have enough.
    A WP-20 style torch is what is normally fitted to that size Sync...

for water cooler.. are you going to buy factory made?? like a coolmate??

or build your own with a procon pump...??

there are a few good build threads if you search "procon"

welcome aboard...
    Last edited by H80N; 01-29-2014 at 06:46 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    A WP-20 style torch is what is normally fitted to that size Sync...

for water cooler.. are you going to buy factory made?? YES like a coolmate?? Yes or something close.

or build your own with a procon pump...?? No because if something is wrong I don't want to have to try from scratch to fix it or not be able to take it someone to be able to fix it.

there are a few good build threads if you search "procon" Thank you I will start there...

welcome aboard...
    I bought my tig welder back in November of 2013, I have seemed to always have a job where I either migged or stick welded from time to time. Never tigged and wanted to. I played with the machine about 3 times. Finally got to lay somewhat a dime look on a 3/16'' and 1/4'' piece of aluminum. Dang the torch head was hot and I mean hot. So right there I decided I am getting a water cooler.

Then I decided to take a class. I went 2 weeks ago to Lincoln Motorsports class (please don't shoot me) Maybe I should've just taken the the tig class but there were a bunch of guys in the class with a lot of experience. The teacher been teaching for 15 years or so and said that was probably the first time there was so much experience. So I got help from the teacher and fellow students frome younger to way older. I'm 5 days away from being 37...

37?, ah the good old days.

Back to the topic, Coolmate 3 and just about any brand HW20 torch with rubber hoses. A lot of guys really like CK torches,I have an ESAB and I like it other than it being 12-1/2' and vinyl hoses.

You are going to want a cooler that will pump at least 1.5 liters per minute at around 50psi... any of the Coolmates or Bernard coolers should be adequate for your needs if you are not doing high amperage production work..

factory built coolers are not inexpensive.... so be prepared for a little sticker shock.. used ones starting in the $500+ range

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

why not just get a larger aircooled torch, shouldn't be that hot on a 250

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    why not just get a larger aircooled torch, shouldn't be that hot on a 250
    I thought about that but I have 2 ends I have to weld onto an intercooler. The height is 13'' on both sides. So basicly I will have atleast 4 welds that are 13'' long on aluminum and it will be with 10-12 gauge aluminum. I want it to look good and function even better. I won't be using a lot of thick aluminum welding but when I do I don't want to have to do a couple inch weld and then stop.

I think I can get a cool mate 3 for under $700 out the door price. I do however have the option to buy red used stuff for over less then half price with a one year warranty. That is another option but I think I don't want to skimp on the cooling.

I ran into a guy trying to fix a red cooler.....pump was 400.?? and the heat exchanger "kit" was 500.??
    I helped him find a Procon pump for about a buck and a quarter.
    Needless to say he isn't buying Red parts(or coolers) anymore.

Thumbs up DIY Cooler Build

Here is a particularly nice build...

it also goes in to some things to look out for when you tackle it using a surplus procon pump..

http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/show...ghlight=procon

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200