Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding Repair to Excavator Boom

I have a mini excavator - Volvo EC25 and there is a small crack on the corner of the boom. It runs approximately 1 along the side and 1 across the back. It is just above a thumb clevis plate that was welded on a few years back. My intent is to remove the paint, V-groove over the crack, drill holes at terminations of the crack and weld with 7018 rods. Am I overlooking anything? Should/can I grind the weld flat?

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    I have a mini excavator - Volvo EC25 and there is a small crack on the corner of the boom. It runs approximately 1 along the side and 1 across the back. It is just above a thumb clevis plate that was welded on a few years back. My intent is to remove the paint, V-groove over the crack, drill holes at terminations of the crack and weld with 7018 rods. Am I overlooking anything? Should/can I grind the weld flat?
    You say boom, do you mean dipper? the thumb wouldn't be attached to the boom. Did the welding of thumb stress the dipper? Might it be made of ductile iron?

Last one I did was an Hitachi 200, they snapped the dipper in 2. I gouged it out, preheated, welded with Hobart Excel Arc 71 dual shield and then plated it. The maniacs have been snapping trees with the shear since I fixed it and we have no problems to report.

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    Last one I did was an Hitachi 200, they snapped the dipper in 2. I gouged it out, preheated, welded with Hobart Excel Arc 71 dual shield and then plated it. The maniacs have been snapping trees with the shear since I fixed it and we have no problems to report.
    Nobody local sells Hobart electrode. Is there a generic designation for Axcel Arc 71, or can it be had online?

Yes you can buy it online or most LWS can order it. It is Excel not Axcel.

Other manufacturers have similar wires also.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

E71T-xx, dual shield
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Quote Originally Posted by 4956 View Post
    E71T-xx, dual shield
    If you're willing to argue for beer, you would go to war for cider!

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Yes you can buy it online or most LWS can order it. It is Excel not Axcel.

Other manufacturers have similar wires also.
    Sorry typo. Mrs. B was trying to drag me out the door.

Answer to your question, Yes you can grind it smooth provided you have a great root pass.

If your not experienced doing root passes like a pipe welder than your better off leaving the weld on there to compensate for a bad root pass.

It is however a good idea to round your corners.

Some will call it a Dipper or stick or Dipper Stick.

When they really lay the boom or stick open, I prefer to add bracing on the inside and grind smooth.