Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I appreciate the tips but the problem didn't come from excessive heat. The gloves are still in the same condition as when they were first bought. The only problem is the lining on the inner side of the fingers is opening.

There's a thin, flimsy outer lining and soft padding inside. I don't even know when it happened but I looked at my glove and saw a bunch on tears opening in the outer lining . Then the soft inner lining followed suit and left me with about a 1/4" hole on the thumb and a 1/8" hole on the index finger. I wish I had taken a picture before I threw them out.

I didn't do anything that would explain them failing so fast. I have a pair of thin Mechanix work gloves that I've had for months and use them under my welding gloves when I need to move jagged metal just to save my welding gloves.

The gloves were great until this happened...again.

Not really upset, just won't be buying those ever again. The heavy duty lined stick gloves that miller makes are great though, so ill give them credit for those beasts. I could stick my hands in lava and never know it.

I have never used the Arc-Armor gloves

I do know that I have gotten excellent service out of the TILLMAN gloves that I have been using forever...
    they do wear out..
    but I have never had a pair fall apart.....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Most guys just lay their hands on the hot weld and shrivel up their new gloves Bob

Reallllly? You really believe that?
    Most guys?
    Good grief.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Reallllly? You really believe that?
    Most guys?
    Good grief.

J
    Yup see it all the time. Kids fresh out of welding school...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I would believe that a lot of rookies would try it but hopefully they would learn quickly? Maybe I had about 8 feet of fillet welds on 3/8 plate. I was keeping by hands away from the hot metal and back from the weld zone to minimize heat input into my gloves. The wood trick is handy but wouldn't work in this scenario. They are decent light fab gloves but I had to check 5-pairs to find a pair that didn't have some sort of defect. Then the first pair I had on and off a couple times in first 5 minutes and the inside was torn. I will definitely be looking at tillman next time.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Yup see it all the time. Kids fresh out of welding school...Bob

Then I'd say that "what you see" has very little real world relation to the professional welding world. What the goofy, stupid hacks "you see all the time" do really doesn't have much bearing, even in "new welder but I don't like burning my digits off" land.

That's about as stupid as saying "most" professional car painters turn the gun full tilt on their face after spraying the car.

Get a grip. "yup" as you say.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Rather than battling each other...

my question would be... have you spoken to anybody at Miller about this??

would think they would want to be made aware of a potential defective product situation and address or correct it...

just my 2cents worth..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Easy answer

Quote Originally Posted by xmt304 View Post
    I wonder where they were made?
    In a place where none of us speak the language but where our overlords make tons of money by importing garbage.

Men and women out of work in this country by the millions and we still allow importation of utter junk on which to waste the little money that does manage to trickle down on our unprotected heads. Is there something wrong in this picture? I'll tell you how to improve welding gloves and a million other products in this country. Charge a tax of $1,000 per ton on every single thing imported across our borders. If that doesn't halt the tide of rubbish that we wade hip-deep in at least it will pay off the national debt, and put Wal Mart out of business - another step in the right direction.

H80N
    Rather than battling each other...

my question would be... have you spoken to anybody at Miller about this??

would think they would want to be made aware of a potential defective product situation and address or correct it...

just my 2cents worth..
    Why would I waste my time telling Miller something they should already have known and figured out? At this point I've already wasted my time and money when it comes to these gloves. Spending more of my time doing the quality assurance for Miller (quality assurance that they should have already done) so they can continue to make money on a sub standard product isn't something I am going to do. I'll do my part in informing them by walking away and spending my money on gloves that aren't sub standard. Anyway they probably have some one that reviews these forum posts and they'll figure it out that way. If they don't, well, they figure it out when the sale of these gloves takes a nose dive.

For any of you who experience performance issues with our Arc Armor® gloves, or any Miller product, you should first contact the Distributor location where you purchased the product, or call our Service line on 866-931-9731.

We produce a high number of welding gloves, and while a certain percentage of manufacturer defects are inevitable, our overall defect rates are low. We did not discontinue the gloves due to any quality issue. We enhanced our offering of safety apparel as part of our commitment to continuously improving product styles and designs.

For any other questions or concerns, please contact us at forum@millerwelds.com or the Service line above.