Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by hunamongyou View Post
    I took out the points and cleaned them, then reinstalled them and reset the gap to 0.008. I blew out every area inside the machine (which was quite dusty). I rechecked to see just what I have going on. If I have the machine set on DC and drag start the TIG torch, it holds an arc fine. It will not jump any gap to start now, however, which it has always done before. I seem to have no AC. The machine will arc if you drag start but will not maintain the arc. It just sort of sputters and sounds similar to when you forget to turn on the gas before starting to weld but gas is flowing because I hear it at the cup. I see no arcing at the points at all, which I have always seen in the past. I have not checked any capacitors yet other than visually.
    and you do have 115 vac to the switch and then on the primary side of the HV transformer..??

if you don't... then none of the rest of the tests matter..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by NHTIG View Post
    Check the capacitors..which I am sure is your next step.......
    I don't have a meter with capacitance checking ability so I guess that means a trip out to buy one.

I don't have a meter with capacitance checking ability so I guess that means a trip out to buy one.
    you do not need a capacitance meter to verify input voltage... a multimeter with AC capability will suffice...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Do not need a capacitor tester at the moment. Disconnect one at a time and se if HF returns. Possible but unlikely that both are shorted so this test MAY help you find the bad one. As stated above you need 115 volts on the primary side of the HF transformer but the capacitor test I describe will at least possibly determine if one is bad and the other is still working to some degree. The 115 volts going to the HF transformer takes a little longer to get at. IF you wind up looking at the 115 Volts and it is there then you will need to measure the HF transformer output itself and for that you would need a HV meter capable of reading 3 to 5 thousand volts. I believe that transformer puts out 3K at low current. Check the capacitors.

It's real simple...

if there is no input voltage.... there will be no spark corona across the gaps and of course no HF output...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default It's the capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by NHTIG View Post
    Check the capacitors..which I am sure is your next step.......
    OK, thanks to some great troubleshooting tips from NHTIG, I've found out I've got a failed high frequency capacitor. He told me how to isolate the bad one so we could still use our machine, at somewhat decreased capacity, until I can get the new parts in there. I'm just going to replace them both. Seems like it's probably time. Many thanks to NHTIG. He's got my vote of confidence!

Glad you got it figured out...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

OK, thanks to some great troubleshooting tips from NHTIG, I've found out I've got a failed high frequency capacitor. He told me how to isolate the bad one so we could still use our machine, at somewhat decreased capacity, until I can get the new parts in there. I'm just going to replace them both. Seems like it's probably time. Many thanks to NHTIG. He's got my vote of confidence!
    No problem, we are all here to help when we can. Thanks for coming back in here and letting people who have been trying to help know what the outcome was. Now when someone else is troubleshooting a similar problem they will know what the outcome was. All who have been trying to help here appreciate knowing what the problem turned out to be.