Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default AWS D1.1 Maximum Width of Bead.....

Does any1 know what the maximum width of your final cover pass bead can be for the AWS D1.1 structural Test on 1" plate running FCAW-G (Dual Shield) 1/16th wire vertical and overhead positions(NOT STICK SPECIFICATIONS). Also if possible can u reference your answer from the code book. The reason being is, I can not find where it states the specifics regarding this. Thanx

Cool

I have taken and passed that test twice for two different companies and i would run stringers both vertical and overhead. Thats a whole lotta wire to try to keep in motion without dripping down or sagging. I saw guys run beads at least 1" wide but they were thin in the middle. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Dont have my book but its in chapter four

Default Bob ...I agree

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I have taken and passed that test twice for two different companies and i would run stringers both vertical and overhead. Thats a whole lotta wire to try to keep in motion without dripping down or sagging. I saw guys run beads at least 1" wide but they were thin in the middle. Just my thoughts...Bob
    I have passed this test once before for a company running .45 wire using stringers, but am taking it with 1/16th wire for a different company. I did one practice test which came out great other then my final cover pass. They said my bead was to wide (about 3/4" ) I was told it needs to be 1/4 to 3/8 wide Max. With this size wire its kinda hard for me to keep it this small. Any tips especially for overhead to keep the bead within those parameters. Right now im running about 24.9v and 210-220 wire speed gas is ar/co2 mix at about 32

Default brownbagg

Quote Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
    Dont have my book but its in chapter four
    The only thing i can find reguarding bead width is in chapter 3 dont quote me but i believe it is a table 3.7 and then also 3.7.2. which still is not clarifying the width of multipass beads for fcaw-g