Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can MM212 spray transfer?

My new welder, MM212, should be in today and I'll have a few choices to make when I go get it. What I need to decide is, do I want 75/25 or 90/10? The lws has both in stock. I've never done spray transfer but I've read the 90/10 would be needed to do it. Is my machine capable of doing it? If my 212 doesn't have the power, then there is no sense getting a gas that may make it weld that much harder, it may just make it harder for me to not burn through things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydoc1 View Post
    My new welder, MM212, should be in today and I'll have a few choices to make when I go get it. What I need to decide is, do I want 75/25 or 90/10? The lws has both in stock. I've never done spray transfer but I've read the 90/10 would be needed to do it. Is my machine capable of doing it? If my 212 doesn't have the power, then there is no sense getting a gas that may make it weld that much harder, it may just make it harder for me to not burn through things.
    My guess is that it would have marginal arc voltage for spray...

but here is an interesting discussion on it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ht=mm212+spray

There are quite a few gas mixes suited to spray arc...

here is a thread that has some good gas info links..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hlight=praxair
    Last edited by H80N; 01-14-2014 at 01:59 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I think you would be able to get that "spray hiss" and appearance, but not the duty cycle and penetration....

A TRI MIX OF ARGON / CO2 / 02 will allow you to short circuit or spray. most supply houses have it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg340 View Post
    A TRI MIX OF ARGON / CO2 / 02 will allow you to short circuit or spray. most supply houses have it.
    yup there are a great variety of mixes at different proportions that will support spray on mild steel..
    Any one in particular that you really like??
    Last edited by H80N; 01-14-2014 at 02:25 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

75/25 and call it a day.

Why do you want to Spray?

"Because of this heat and the size of the weld puddle, spray transfer is somewhat limited in welding positions. The heat and size of the weld puddle also limits spray transfer to material 1/8” or thicker. Welding steel with spray transfer is usually done in the flat position, and the horizontal fillet weldposition. Horizontal position spray arc welds are lap and T- joint fillet welds.
    "
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Broccoli1, I'm not neccessarily sure I do want to spray. I'm fairly new to welding, but think I'm off to a good start, so I am buying "the best equipment I can afford " and want to keep my options open. I really don't know much about it or why it is better/worse then short circuit, but if my welder is capable of it then I may want to try it to see what I think about it. I'm not calling you out, but from your reply I get the idea that you don't think much of it. That's cool. It seems like some on here find it has a useful purpose. I'd like to form my own opinion.

I asked today at our lws and they only have the 75/25 or 90/10 right now. I'm not sure what else they can get in, but if my welder comes in today I'd like to pick up my wire and a bottle and be ready to make some sparks!

Thanks for the replies and info. H80N, I really appreciate the links to more knowledge. I'll probably have time to read through that tonight.

It's not that I don't think much of it but to get rolling you should just get the 75/25, wire- hit the local steel yard for some scrap or cut offs/remnants and start welding.

Spray is limited to a Flat position- Not very useful for us home geeerage types.

After you burn through the roll of wire or a couple then move on to playing around with Spray.

The MM212 comes with a chart for 75/25 gas, straight CO2, Tri-Mix for stainless and Argon for Alooominum.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Based on the information Miller is supplying on the V/A graph for the MM 212, go with C25 shielding gas. The MM 212 doesn't look like it's going to have enough top end voltage for spray arc, especially with 90/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post

Spray is limited to a Flat position- Not very useful for us home geeerage types.

Ed,

My Wife's little Kubota tractor with a front end loader (bucket) can easily fit our garage, and assist in repositioning parts when needed.

My 6' 205lbs 17 year old Son comes in handy for helping reposition parts too.