When I was at FABTECH, I had an opportunity to chat at some length with one of the experts from ESAB about the merits of advanced inverter welders, especially for TIG.

As he explained it "The magic is on the AC side", meaning that the sophisticated features generally apply only to AC welding. Therefore, one might be wasting money by buying a highly sophisticated welder, such as a Dynasty, if one is primarily or exclusively using DC for TIG welding.

When I was discussing this with one of my friends, who is on the board of AWS, he suggested that this tip alone may have paid for my trip to FABTECH. That is, since I almost exclusively weld DC, I would be wasting my money to buy a high end TIG welder. I most frequently weld copper, and probably do not set my Syncrowave to AC more than once or twice a year. Nor do I weld stainless very often.

So how do you guys who have advanced welders feel about his view, that most of the advantages of the advanced TIG welders apply on the AC side, not the DC side?

Richard