Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default The magic is on the AC side........

When I was at FABTECH, I had an opportunity to chat at some length with one of the experts from ESAB about the merits of advanced inverter welders, especially for TIG.

As he explained it "The magic is on the AC side", meaning that the sophisticated features generally apply only to AC welding. Therefore, one might be wasting money by buying a highly sophisticated welder, such as a Dynasty, if one is primarily or exclusively using DC for TIG welding.

When I was discussing this with one of my friends, who is on the board of AWS, he suggested that this tip alone may have paid for my trip to FABTECH. That is, since I almost exclusively weld DC, I would be wasting my money to buy a high end TIG welder. I most frequently weld copper, and probably do not set my Syncrowave to AC more than once or twice a year. Nor do I weld stainless very often.

So how do you guys who have advanced welders feel about his view, that most of the advantages of the advanced TIG welders apply on the AC side, not the DC side?

Richard

Smile

I do a little bit of everything so I need the advanced AC features of the Dynasties.... I would be sunk with DC only machines..

For me... the extra investment to have the Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner & Dynasty 200DX and their versatility... was money well spent...

Of course if you use DC exclusively.. why invest in AC..??

Sounds to me like the ESAB guy was trying to justify less capable machines.. and making that a selling point..

I will admit to not being very impressed with today's ESAB... years ago they had been a pretty good outfit... but it seems that they have morphed into a marketing firm for OEM'd offshore stuff... sure have not seen anything innovative or interesting in their lineup...
    Last edited by H80N; 01-17-2014 at 11:42 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

It's true. We have 3 Dynasty 350s and they never get used unless someone needs to play around with AC. If you don't specifically need AC then the high end machines are just a waste.

Default 350's useless for DC welding?

Quote Originally Posted by jdj90 View Post
    It's true. We have 3 Dynasty 350s and they never get used unless someone needs to play around with AC. If you don't specifically need AC then the high end machines are just a waste.
    The DC pulse tailoring options available on the 350 allow for a much
    wider range than most inverters. Bead profile, heat input, etc.
    This is one of the reasons why Barrett welds the steel receivers on
    50 cal. sniper rifles with 350's.

With SS welding these options help as well.
    Last edited by dave powelson; 01-17-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: addition

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

In the last 30 years, technology has brought benefit to AC gta welding ten fold as much as it has brought to DC. However, in the last 30 years, it has equally benefited dc pulsed gma, mostly for steel applications.

The next frontier will be the application of asymmetric AC pulse for gma welding.