Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller SRH-333 HOT HOT HOT

Community College I go to has me working with an (VERY) old SRH-333. Not happy since there are Dynasty 200DXs like the one I have at home locked in the cage where we cannot use them.

Anyway, I have a query in to Miller for a manual as this one's S/N is so old it's not listed. S/N starts with U.

Has anyone ever worked with one of these machines? This thing burns hot like there's no tomorrow. For example 7018s I'd run on 130 amps I have to run at 70. Have to adjust down similarly for all other rods.

Is this just the way these machines were or is it this specific machine with a problem? Possible to fix this thing?

Think I'm going to have to make them let me do my classwork from home so I can run beads well enough to pass the class. :-)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Anyway, I have a query in to Miller for a manual as this one's S/N is so old it's not listed. S/N starts with U.

. :-)
    Unless I am mistaken.. a Serial beginning with "U" would fall between Serial Numbers T453406 through HG065957

So this should be the proper manual..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o230_mil.pdf

anyway... it sure looks like it to me..

Last edited by H80N; 01-17-2014 at 09:24 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Field control bridge is weak/damaged. No biggy, just get someone to change from the old style to the new style. Part costs like 5 bucks. Get it from an electroniics store. Looking for a 30 amp 800 volt unit. (volts is just the heat rating)

Miller said this machine was mfgr'd in 1969 (I was a senior in HS :-)) and the manual can't be downloaded. They sent me the one published for it in 1971 - iom230e_mil.pdf

Looking through the parts list I don't see anything called a "Field control bridge".

Could it be called something different?

Thanks folks.

Rectifier, 40 amp 800 volt left side upper center frame. All SRH's are the same for the last 50 years, body has changes, but not the inside

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Miller said this machine was mfgr'd in 1969 (I was a senior in HS :-)) and the manual can't be downloaded. They sent me the one published for it in 1971 - iom230e_mil.pdf

Looking through the parts list I don't see anything called a "Field control bridge".

Could it be called something different?

Thanks folks.
    Could be wrong but it looks like "SR2" on figure 7-1 page 11 of this one

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o230_mil.pdf

if they were using selenium rectifiers... the resistace across the junctions increases over time .. dropping the control voltage for the magnetic amplifier allowing greater current flow than the knob setting would indicate...

the upshot is to do what Cruizer says and replace the bridge with a modern silicon rectifier bridge,,
    Last edited by H80N; 01-17-2014 at 02:48 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..