Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default fixture for welding small tanks with mig

homemade device for mig welding small tanks.

I need some advice on building a device to rotate tubing slow enough to mig weld on endcaps. I am working with 3.5" carbon steel tubing .083 wall 14 guage. I bought a setup off ebay that I planned on putting a lathe chuck on but it doesnt work very well. Its a 110v gearmotor with foot control. Problem is is doesnt rotate slow enough rpm. And when turned down as slow as it will go it kind of jumps.Has anyone built a devise like this that works well? I need to start over with a better plan. Any and all advice is appreciated.

search for welding positioners here and on google, for 3.5 in diam you may need less than 1 rpm...

mine was made from a 24 v dc motor from an old mig feeder plus a variable speed drive from robotshop.ca they sell battle bots parts and more. I also had to use a gear reducer for having a smooth rotation in fractional rpm.

after the built i saw better ideas than mine as always.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    search for welding positioners here and on google, for 3.5 in diam you may need less than 1 rpm...

mine was made from a 24 v dc motor from an old mig feeder plus a variable speed drive from robotshop.ca they sell battle bots parts and more. I also had to use a gear reducer for having a smooth rotation in fractional rpm.

after the built i saw better ideas than mine as always.
    Thanks i think i read where you mention it on another post. I have been doing some searching. The problem I am having is the rpm as you said needs to be less than one rpm. And going that slow I dont have the right setup for smooth operation. Welding tanks is new to me so I am hoping someone will help me get going in the right direction.

Have you tried a gear indexing head to get the rite speed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty77 View Post
    Have you tried a gear indexing head to get the rite speed ?
    No I havent. I have never used one. How would I use it for welding pipe?

Cool

I would start with a good gearbox and motor setup and use pulleys and belts to get to your desired speed. I have a 60:1 set up on a frame and i can do about anything i want with it. But you have to be able to adapt items such as a lathe chuck and different pulleys if needed so a machine shop is help full to...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

there is a drive shaft shop in my area, they do alot of work for me, they weld up shafts on a lathe, i am fairly sure that they did some thing to it to make it work, i would suggest checking with your local drive shaft shop, they weld and spin small tube all day long

The world is filled with almost new treadmills that are no longer in use(think variable speed). You could try cannibalizing one for the motor and speed control, maybe the rollers. Add an extra jack shaft with gears or sprockets so the motor runs a bit faster but the final output is slower. Especially geared down it should have enough torque to turn your pipe.---Meltedmetal

I have built a half dozen of these over the years to weld stainless tube fittings etc. I used a small gearmotor with a scr drive that holds a constant rpm wherever its set, these were from a chemical delivery pump. I used # 25 chain and a large sprocket on the driven end and a small one on the drive.
    Final rpm should be around 1 rpm wide open and vary down from there, for tigging.

The motor/gearbox can be as small as a toy motor as its really geared down so very little power is needed.

I tried some of the commercially available turntables and they were way too fast for tigging. Migging could use more speed maybe.

I have used these turntables in various configurations for over 30 years, so they do last awhile ha!

I am thinking about a drive for one using a stepper motor and driver thats variable, then the gearbox thing wouldnt be so critical as the steps would be variable over a wide range and the slower it goes the more torque it has, kind of the opposite of a vari speed control.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have built a half dozen of these over the years to weld stainless tube fittings etc. I used a small gearmotor with a scr drive that holds a constant rpm wherever its set, these were from a chemical delivery pump. I used # 25 chain and a large sprocket on the driven end and a small one on the drive.
    Final rpm should be around 1 rpm wide open and vary down from there, for tigging.

The motor/gearbox can be as small as a toy motor as its really geared down so very little power is needed.

I tried some of the commercially available turntables and they were way too fast for tigging. Migging could use more speed maybe.

I have used these turntables in various configurations for over 30 years, so they do last awhile ha!

I am thinking about a drive for one using a stepper motor and driver thats variable, then the gearbox thing wouldnt be so critical as the steps would be variable over a wide range and the slower it goes the more torque it has, kind of the opposite of a vari speed control.
    Thanks for the great replies. I am going to work on it and post an update on what I end up with.